Software or Hardware?

chromium6

I am A user of SONAR XL 1.0 from Cakewalk. I have had the program for a year now, I also Have my Midi Adapter Device For My Triton Keyboard. So that I can use midis with my PC. all together I payed a little over 2G's for the Triton and 500 for the program. I Am skilled with an Mpc and a TB 303 and many other Hardware. And I must say The Software is working at as goo if not better than the hardware. Now I Prefer Software because I understand CPU's very Well. but my question for those who want to answer is. Hardware or Software? and why?

Software to sequence and record, hardware to make noises with. That's my ideal world, but sometimes I use soft synths and I always use soft fx ('cos of the money involved in buying hardware).

KasioRoks

Yea i use the main pc in the studio for sequencing and sample editing on soundforge (with transfer prog for samplers). And the second pc runs some synth editors for stuff like the Roland D110 which is a pain to program.

Apart from that, noise making, fx, mixing, mastering is done 98% outside of the computer. only very occasionally do i use plug in fx or soft synths.

u r in real danger of stirring up a huge hornets nest here chromium lol.
before i start can i ask u a question. have u really used a real tb303 alot and still think that the rebirth one sounds just as good? be honest please as i am really interested.
for me its hardware all the way, i dont sequence on computers, dont record on them nothing. ocassionally chop up loops on recycle but thats it.
on software i dont like the interface, i dont like the sound and more important of all to me, i hate the feel(texture) of the sound.
guess it really come down to what you are wanting to do though and like painting everyone likes their own things. i just like being stuck in the past.
what you start on makes a big impact for a choice too. i started on hardware and have stuck to it, others who started on software would probably have lots of gripes about hardware. so once again where are we....no further forward

Hybrid. I started out with 4 track 1/4", moved on to ADATs, and in '96 I hooked the ADATs up to my PC (using Cakewalk) and began recording on the HD (using the ADAT converters for 8 in / 8 out via lightpipe). I have a Kawai K4 and an Alesis QS6, use an Alesis DM5 drum module and a handful of FX boxes and (tube and solidstate) compressors -- but also use some samples and often do my mastering in Sound Forge. I've flirted with Acid Pro (I took advantage of a cheap upgrade a while back) but I just can't seem to warm up to it. Brilliant technology, though.

Last edited:
Since i can't afford to buy all the hardware I want, i use software a lot. However, it's my opinion that you can get good sounds out of software, albeit not as perfect as a physical piece. it just takes some finesse with standard compression and eq to tweak what the program can't do.

The other thing with software is portability and reliability. I can take a laptop with the whole native instruments line on it somewhere in a bag and use any midi controller at the venue (be it live or studio) when if i were going to take all that gear out, i'd need a truck.

Of course, you don't have the benefits of having the actual gear in your rack as far as patching and multiple plays etc.

If I could afford the gear, i'd buy it ;)

Back