small home studio help

L

LEG1784

I have become very interested in recording and home studios over the last year. However, I know pretty much nothing when it comes down to it. I am interested in creating a home studio and really do not know where to begin. I have looked at various digital studios and don't really know what is best for my needs. I plan on recording mainly solo musicians, so pretty much one guitar and one mic, but would still like to be able to do full bands. Any help on this subject would be great. Thanks.
-Laura

leg i start it with a drum manchain a dr-5 boss
but i mean its about what you wanna do in your studio most people will tell you to go computer but that may not be u
but try out that fruityloops or reason2 and see if you like computer music if not i say get a mc909 or rs7000 cause it got said in it and you can sample or a mpc if you wanna dig which take alot of time out your day i say get a mpc or mc or rs7000 get a computer program like sonar 3 or cubase get a nice soundcard a good mic for about 200$ and you all set to do your thing but if you going for something big you got to have big money but the small set up should do you good

ethernine, you are way off the mark this person is after a recording setup not a production system.

I plan on recording mainly solo musicians, so pretty much one guitar and one mic, but would still like to be able to do full bands
Well then you are looking for a multi track recorder with 8 channels or more. This could be a standalone piece of hardware like a yamaha MD8 (cheap but low quality recordings) or AW4416 (expensive but you'll never need anything else) or you could get a computer with a multi i/o system. Then you need all the appropriate mic's, stands, cables and preamps or mixers. What sort of budget are you working on?

Well

To record to your PC:
You're going to need an input on your soundcard to cover every musician, and that many sub outs on your mixer to cover the inputs. Ideally for 'full bands' an 8x8 Soundcard/Audio interface, and an 8-bus mixer.
Also: Compressors, which basically have a threshold to cut out unwanted noise, brighten low vocals, and to bring down high vocals, it basically *rides the gain.
Mics: dynamic and condensor, you'd need atleast 3 for live drums.

As for synths/samplers: i'll give you a run down on cliche items:
Triton, Motif, Fantom-S, Roland XV88, MPC, MC-909, RS7000 etc.

Software: Reason/Fruityloops (basically samplers/synths/drums/sequencers)
Cubase/Cakewalk/ProTools: To sequencer/record...MIDI, you'd need one of these to record your vocals in, if you decided to go with the soundcard/mixer setup as I described.

I hope I cleared some issues up for you.

-Peace,
Pose.

Mungo~
I would like to keep my spending under $2,000, however, I can go a little higher if necessary.
Another question, would looking into used mixers and other equip. be a good idea?

Maybe, but make sure you look at a lot of gear before buying used, Behringer mixers go for under 400 dollars.
Also-- A lot of Ebay users sell new gear for lower prices.

Warning: If you buy used gear online, make sure to see pictures first, ask them to list every 'minor' defect or damage, basically take usual precautions.

And $2,000.00 is plenty for a nice project studio.

Ok, so I am looking for some type of stand alone mixer, and some mics, and thats about it, right?

IMHO, that's pretty much what you need to do what you want to record. As Mungo stated, a digital multi track recorder and some decent mics and you're on your way. I have the Yamaha AW4416 and it's the center piece of my studio. Not to mention you can take it to pro level processing with the Waves Plug in Card Y56K. It's a high end recorder for the price, however, you can get a decent recorder for much less just research. Oh yea, by the way, welcome to the forum. :)

Well

Are you recording to computer?
You're going to need a nice Soundcard or Audio Interface as well, and a compressor for the recording chain would be nice also.
Using a multi-track? Most of them come with mixers, so you will not need another.

Back