shopping list for home studio

Kidtonz

Finally have the money to get this stuff. within the next couple weeks. what do ya think. this will be for producing hiphop/r&b.. mostly.

looks like the xp30 is the best value. triton/Motif/Fantom cost too much... im on a budget for real ... the xp60-80 looks good .. but would cost more .. for about the same price i could get the xp30 with 2 expansion cards .. if i get the xp30. I uld lose the on board sequencer though. ??? I wanted it to write on the fly. no hassle .. no equipment in the way. Is it just as easy to write with the mpc2000xl as my sequencer. or using software. . please make suggesions if possible. thanx..
heres my shopping list ....
__________________________________-
MPC2000xl w/32mg 8 outs ..
Roland xp30 w/ hiphop and Asia cards..
Cport dsp. 2000 interface or Delta 1010LT
Behringher 2642A mixer
Studio projects c1 mic/stand/8" filter
M-audio sb5 monitors
Behringer gate/compressor/limiter
Cubase, Sonar, with tons of plugins.

---Tonz

what do ya think. ??
:cool:

XFingaz

Instead of going for the behringer compressor, I'd go for the Alesis 3630.....its sick

If you do hiphop..I'll suggest not to get the hiphop expansion from Roland...just doesn't cut it..:cry: (weaker than Richard Simmons), get another expansion board( if you getting a MPC just use that to sample and u should find more than what you need for hiphop)...as far as sequencing goes...I use logic to sequence and it is a pain to turn on the cpu wait to boot up, etc, by the time you start the whole thing you lose inspiration... MPC is a good choice for that quick and easy...

thanx for the input. yeah. ive been looking at a few synths. but for me . since i cant really play a lick. im going with the maxed out roland xp30 . wich would gimme a nice bed of sounds to play with. i can sequence with computer .. or the mpc. !!!!! what kinda interface you runnin for the computer. with logic.. im lookin at the cport 2000 .. or delta 1010

thanx..

Tonz

Yeah go with the xp-30 and the expansion cards. It has lots of those little lead sounds which fit perfectly as r n b and hip hop melody line instruments.

Luck,

CZ

I have heard great stuff from friends who have deltas... aparently they are solid, but I've never used one myself.

I use the Roland Studio Pack that comes with a RPC-1 Sound Card...It uses the same drivers as the delta 1010, never had a problem with it...expect windows xp being preinstalled with acpi....but that is it.....

Why the delta 1010 if you're going to be doing hiphop?
I wouldn't imagine you'd work with more than a couple inputs at a time. Usually the only time you need more that 4 or 6 I/O is recording a drumkit.
Just curious. And I don't really get why people buy samplers when you can work with samples on a computer so easily.
Well in any case whatever you do don't go buying sample discs. You can find so many hip hop samples online or just make them yourself that I don't see the point.

Re: XFingaz

XFingaz said:
Instead of going for the behringer compressor, I'd go for the Alesis 3630.....its sick
really? there's one or two over at the used gear shop i frequent right now for fairly reasonable. what advantages does it have?

also check out http://www.fmraudio.com/

the RNC is a great sounding compressor I would recomend it over a Berhinger or an Alesis. Do a web search on the FMR RNC 1773 you'll find that there are alot of people saying alot of nice things about this little compressor.

lykwyd chykyn said:
Why the delta 1010 if you're going to be doing hiphop?
I wouldn't imagine you'd work with more than a couple inputs at a time. Usually the only time you need more that 4 or 6 I/O is recording a drumkit.
Just curious. And I don't really get why people buy samplers when you can work with samples on a computer so easily.
Well in any case whatever you do don't go buying sample discs. You can find so many hip hop samples online or just make them yourself that I don't see the point.
yes u can easily sample on ur pc, but puttin em in a good sounding beat is another story m8,...if u can do it on a computer,...why is the mpc60 and 2000 , and 3000 so fecking popular

I think that MPC series are so popular for a number of reasons. Obviously they are easy to use, lot easier than a cpu. The solid sequencer and the so called groove algorithms, which eveybody seems to argue about cause nobody seems to have the same right answer. The 16 pads are a great feature but they also have the mpd16 which basically is the pads by themselves as midi controllers. The MPC 60 and 3000 sound good as far as the 2000 series, people have said that they have cheaper d/a or a/d converters to make the machine cheaper. I believe it is the same sampling engine as one of the cheaper akai samplers. So Supposedly the 2000 doesn't sound as fat as the other, but this is another topic for which people don't agree on. The MPC also has a good industry name. And I think the number 1 reason why MPC's are so popular is because every newbie producer favorite question: What does ______ use? People feels that since there favorite producer use one that if they get one then they will sound just like them or bettter, but it ain't the machine it is the man behind it. Of course cpu, are more powerful than MPC, but sometimes all those option get in the way of creativity. My advice is buy with which you are comfortable with.

Just my 2 cents!:sing: :monkey:

Back