Setting up a Production Studio...

A

ABSTRAX

I've finally managed to get an Akai MPC2000XL but I need to know where to start when it comes to setting up the equipments so that I have everything in place...

So I know it might seem basic, but I'd rather start from Ground Zero, What else do I need to have alongside the MPC?

Any help will be appreciated...

One...

www.culturevi.com

Well, starting with the MPC2000XL, you have already a sequenser and a good sampler.
Of course there are always better sequensers and samplers, but these are fine.
* In the first place, you need - if you haven't already one -a good mixer. You can go for an analog or a digital mixer.
One of the advantages of a digital mixer is the possibility to "record" slider changes, so that the mixer can repeat your slider changes automatically.
Exemple of a decent digital mixer (and much more: lots of fx etc.) is the Roland VS-1880.
One of the advantages of an analog one is that they cost - generally - much less $$.
* Not necessary but to recommend are studio monitors.
They give a pure sound, straight from the mixer, and have no influence like loudness/EQ settings from your home stereo
Good ones are the Genelec monitors (top quality), the Yamaha MSP10, ...
I'll give you later the instruments, okie ?

Hello again,

The spectrum of good instruments is very wide. But I'll try:
* Try to have one or more analog / virtual analog synths. They really sound fatter than usual synths.
Good for basses, strings/pads, house (trance) sounds.
Good v/a (and not so old) are the Novation SupernovaII (superb !!!!) and the Access Virus B (superb too, but I'd prefer the SupernovaII)
Excellent "vintage" analog synths are the Roland Juno106, the Roland Juno6, the Roland TB-303 (less possibilities but awesome typical sounds), the Yamaha CS-80, ... Try to find them "midified" (i.e. you can send midi messages to them).

* Try to have an (expandable) sound-module. There you have the "classic" sounds like piano, classical strings, guitar, trumpets, horn, ...
Thé studio standard is the Roland JV-1080 or JV-2080.

* Try to have a good microphone:
I have a Rode NT2, and he's very good, other good ones are the AKG mics, and many more

* Try to have (if you haven't one) a good master keyboard :
Exemples are the Roland A-series (A-33, A-70 or A-90EX), less known (but from Oberheim !!) Oberheim MC1000 76/88, ...

* other things who are ± necessary:

- midi cables & audio cables (of course)
- midi interface (recommend 8 IN & 8 OUTS), like the eMagic AMT-8, the MidiMan USB Midisport 8x8, ...

for the finishing touch (mastering) :
- a good compressor
- a good aural exciter like the APHEX 104: read the review by Tricky:APHEX 104 Aural Exciter

Good luck !!
:cheers:

Last edited:
Sheeeesh...

What I'd say is just go by your ear. The equipment you need depends mostly on the genre of music you're going to produce.

Go to your local musicware shop and listen around - try everything you can get your hands on. And browse the net for specs, MP3 demo tracks, etc.

Don't listen to talk like "Supernova II is the best, because I love it, and because it's the best". Listen to a LOT of synths and make up your OWN mind.

I'm not saying SN2 is totally bad but it's not necessarily the right choice for everyone, and hey, I do own one, and I hate some things about it but love other things about it.

One more tip: if you want to sound original, don't go by any rules or standards - make your own sound.

Toni L.
www.mp3.com/NativeAlien

Originally posted by Funktastico :
What I'd say is just go by your ear.
Funktastico, I agree with the "go by your ear"-philosophy, but I just wanted to give our friend ABSTRAX a list of standard studio gear (I guess that's what he asked).
And I think that the gear I mentioned is studio standard and/or quality gear, so I hope that ABSTRAX has learned something.

By the way: the SupernovaII is good, without any doubt; I'm in love with mine.
And SNII can be used for any music purposes, not only dance-related music (i.e. basses, organs, synth strings...)

Sure it can be used for freaking baroque music if you like, but you can find better strings, more natural basses, organs, synth strings, etc. in many other synths.

Toni L.
www.mp3.com/NativeAlien

First off, thanks to all those who have replied... especially fat_boy_pier, you've really given me a clear picture of everything else that I need to start buildin up around my skimpy (for the minute anyway) foundations...

To answer KasioRoks, I have two genres in mind... firstly hip hop since I'm a hip hop artist already, I just want to have that option to produce for myself should I need to be self contained... secondly, French Dance music (that's the best way I can describe it anyway), acts such as Modjo, Stardust, Starlight etc, bringin the 70s funk/disco samples or original melodies to the kids who didn't experience them first hand...

One...

www.culturevi.com

man, abstrax, if you just afforded to get a mpc2000 you are gonna have to put a mortgage on your house to get the other stuff. i know that hardware is better than software, and if i could afford a virus b i would probably buy one, but software can get you a long way.

Back