setting up a "booth" in my garage to record vocals

Yungcuz05

what would be the best way to setupp a booth like area in the corner of my garage, the ceiling is very high also, to record vocals for hiphop tracks, will it be feasible to use two matresses against the corner wall to form like a box around the mic?
if that isnt good whats the best way then thank you in advance.

Last edited:
Yungcuz05 said:
what would be the best way to setupp a booth like area in the corner of my garage, the ceiling is very high also, to record vocals for hiphop tracks, will it be feasible to use two matresses against the corner wall to form like a box around the mic?
if that isnt good whats the best way then thank you in advance.

Depending on what mic and mic-pre you have might affect the over all sound in a good or bad way. Just try it, what do you have to lose?

Generally, a vocal room should be as dead as possible. This allows you to track your vocal without any coloration, and then add the specific reverbs, etc. during mixing.
Your two mattress idea seems logical. It might be improved further by hanging some heavy blankets/sleeping bags on the permenant walls. Good luck.

Just saw MTV "Cribs" yesterday feat. Lil John. His vocal booth had 3 closed walls, about 5x5, and 8 foot ceiling or so and a mattress for the door.

teddy rockspin said:
Just saw MTV "Cribs" yesterday feat. Lil John. His vocal booth had 3 closed walls, about 5x5, and 8 foot ceiling or so and a mattress for the door.

Yea but thats probably his pre-production studio, I'm sure he books studio time when he is gonna make a final production

yea^^

alot of home studios are pre-production. Nothing wrong with a ghetto-a$$ vocal booth for getting ideas down.

teddy rockspin said:

LOL I saw that too!, I was like "you figure this guy would have a booth built or buy one of those ready made booth's".

But if that works then go for it! :D

x7productionz said:
yea^^

alot of home studios are pre-production. Nothing wrong with a ghetto-a$$ vocal booth for getting ideas down.

:cheers: No Doubt!

Back