separate recording room

A

azzurro

I eventually want to set up a good home studio in my basement. I want to be able to record vocals, percussion, brass, and woodwind instruments professionally. I have a 254 cm by 213 cm area (about 100 inches by 84 inches) that I could possibly use just for recording. If I soundproofed the room (created a steel frame around the area, filled it with insulation, and covered it with drywall) would this create a good sound in the room (and keep unwanted sound out)? Is there other stuff that I would have to do to the floor or walls or ceiling to get a good sound? Is this area too small (sound bouncing off walls)? What size are the rooms in professional recording studios?
Thanks in advance for any help. :D

The area you described - is that what you're planning on making into your entire studio? Or is it just the live area? Cos it's tiny for a whole studio!

Sound On Sound ran a series of articles about making a studio space - check www.sospubs.co.uk, but you may have to pay to see some content there.

KasioRoks

That's all sounding quite good, one point i would make though is to make sure that none of your walls are parralel. Parralel walls create alot of reflections and this is obviously going to "tarnish" your sound. Hope that's of some help!!

The area you described - is that what you're planning on making into your entire studio? Or is it just the live area? Cos it's tiny for a whole studio
No that would just be the "live" area... all I'd have in it is a good mic and whatever instrument i'm recording.
Thanks for the link I'll check out sound on sound.
make sure that none of your walls are parralel. Parralel walls create alot of reflections and this is obviously going to "tarnish" your sound
If I can't make the 100 by 84 inch area into a box, what shape would you recommend?

Back