Sends?!?!

seanpassion

when is the best time to use sends over inserts in Nuendo? I dont quite understand how to use them properly with certain effects like compressors, should compressors be going on each individual tracks insert or can I get away with them as a send?
Thanks

The basic rule of thumb (and like pretty much every rule in music, how you choose to use or abuse them is an important part of the process) is to use an insert when you want to completely change a signal, and to use a send when you want to colour it.

I usually set up reverb as sends, as I want the original sound plus the effected reverb sound simultaneously.

With compression, you want to compress the whole signal...you're not going to want an uncompressed original with trace elements of a compressed version, so that's where you'd use an insert.

Last edited:
Think of it this way.

You have a channel, i.e. single track. On that channel if you have EQ controls it is the same as having an EQ insert. You "insert" the effect into that channel to affect the whole signal.

Typically you would insert a compressor into the channel to affect the whole signal.

With a send, you "send" the signal to a buss seperate from the channel. That bus is usually known as an aux. There you place an effect, such as reverb or delay and mix the aux with the original channel.

Sometimes you may want to use things like EQ and compression as effects so you "send" the channel signal to the aux where a EQ or compressor is added. Then you mix the un-affected channel with the EQ'd or compressored aux bus.

EQ and compression are sometimes thought of as processors, because you insert it into the channel and "process" the whole signal. While reverb, delay, chorus, etc are thought of as effects and you use part of the "affected" signal to mix back in with the original.

Back