Sample questions

D

Dj Meteor

i have a couple question that imnot quite ssure about

1) everyone remember underworld right? they used these huge tribal drum sounding drums on songs like rez cowgirl and kittens and more. anyone know what kind or where i can find drum souns like these...before i sample them direct from the songs?

2)going with my last question. i sample lots of vinyl records. a lot of latin vinyl that isnt well known here. im not on a label, whose door do i knock on if you can't get a direct line to say....verve records to clear these. also do you think an uruguayan record label is gonna notice if i sample an indian tribe released by them (on vinyl from 1965)?

all help is appreciated and thanks in advance

Use the samples, but take note on where you got them from. If a label signs one of your tunes containing these samples, and wants to release it, its down to their legal department to clear the samples.

One of the easiest methods is to just use it and if it blows up, then take care of it. example: Lord Tariq & Peter Guns "Uptown Baby" sampling Steely Dan. They gave up a grip of money after the fact but when they released their album (bling bling)

Or you could break the sample apart using recycle and recreate your own groove. I tend to do that as it allows a little more creativity in using the sample.

In fact I just did a latin house "cheesy radio mix" for a label and I just jacked a phat house groove and re-played it with a more salsa riddem.

Just explore!

and dont forget to have fun. :D

Back