Rugs as acoustic treatment in a home studio is it worth it?

Rugs as acoustic treatment in a home studio good or bad?

Hi guys

I'm thinking about covering about 80% of my floor with 1.5-2cm or 0.6-0.8 inch rugs as part of my acoustic treatment in my home studio. Is this a good idea, since I've seen some posts against carpets? Do I need to know something about this or simply buy and lay them? My idea was just to find the thickest and heaviest ones to absorb as much sound as possible and cover as much floor area as possible.

Last edited:
It depends on your room, and what frequencies you are trying to deal with. Carpeting, tapestries, and acoustic foam all reduce high end reflections. Pretty much high end only.

Furniture and bookcases can act as diffusers. But for low end absorption, you need mass. This should be in corners, where bass frequency "corner loading" will be the most prevalent.

Many of these issues have been discussed here again and again, so I would suggest a search of FP regarding "sound treatment" or "sound proofing" (the wrong term, but used incorrectly quite often nonetheless).

GJ

Didn't really find what I was looking for here, but on another forum they said that if I'm gonna be using proper acoustic treatment, then rugs and carpets with all other treatment can reduce overall too much of certain frequencies in the room. So I guess it's better to treat my studio properly first and then think whether I need rugs. I was about to do it the other way around.

I highly recommend this. Its a great way to get some solid acoustic treatment on a budget and if you pick some nice rugs it looks cool as well.

Kevin

Back