room within a room

R

rawwrecords1

ok so i keep hearing that in order to soundproof u have to build a room within a room and the gap between the two rooms is where u put the sound proofing material...so the only question is how big does the gap between the two rooms have to b??? can i just use a 2 x 4 and put a piece of dry wall on each side and insulate between the two pieces???

Outside the room >> Drywall (2 layers of 1/2" would be nice) >> Insulated studs >> Air >> Insulated studs >> Drywall (2 layers of 1/2" would be nice again) >> Inside the room.

Note no drywall in between - It's actually worse, as the sound will pass through the inside drywall easier than the air. Especially the low end (which is really what you're trying to stop anyway).

Last edited by a moderator:
so then u are saying have i wall of 1 inch drywall...then a space then another inch of drywall??? so there is only gonna b 2 walls??...but the question is how much of a gap between the 2 walls

I I I I
I I I I
I I I I
I I----------I I
I---------------I
so if those I's were the walls each one is 1 inch thick, but how much space between the walls??? and i jus put the soundproofing between the walls right????

well dont look at the diagram cuz for some reason it mashed all the I's together, but all in all there is one wall then how much of a space before the other wall??? and the soundproofing goes between the walls????sorry for the double post but the other one came out strange

Most places I've worked with have about 2" (well, 1-3/4") in between.

The insulation goes into the studs, just like it would with any wall. 8# per cu.ft. rockwool would be my suggestion.

and then i would need 2 airtight doors right???? or can i have just one door???

ok thanks n e other helpful tips u might have??? like hwat is the best material to buy??

so where do i buy that at, is that like rubber material???? how about stuff from the copmany auralex???

no, not auralex, (i'd get panels from GIK before auralex)

for the owens corning 703 you can go to http://www.owenscorning.com and search for the closest dealer

as for rockwool i'm not too sure, if i were you i would do some google searches and maybe call around to your local stores that would carry insulation.

ok..thanks for the help n e thing else just let me kno....

Back