Room Treatment/Soundproofing Help

RB-Productions

Hey FP. I need to treat my studio room, because:

* I live on the 8th floor of an Apt. building, and neighbours are probably going to start complaining.
* Improve recording from the microphone
* Better monitoring

I don't neccesarilly need proffesional treating (because I am still a beginner).

My ceilings are 8'7 feet high.

As you can see on the picture, the room is a weird shape, compared to having just a square room. Also, the doors are glass double french doors, which might be a problem.

Thank you, RB-Productions

Last edited:
checkout www.gikacoustics.com

just dropped $160 that was well worth it!!! u won't find anything better or cheaper unless u do it urself...real talk!!! contact them and they'll even tell u how to setup ur room for free!! w/ their product of course...

Last edited:
Smithgrind137 is right--soundproofing and acoustic treatment are 2 different things. Getting your room sounding better is a lot easier than blocking sound from getting to your neighbors. For soundproofing, you need mass-loaded vinyl. Google and you'll find it. It's pretty expensive.

For improving acoustics, start by putting foam on any parallel walls to stop standing waves. Also, bluchippa5's recommendation for broadband absorbers is good. They should be put in corners--that is where bass builds up.

Also you should put something like primacoustic recoil stabilizers or sorbothane hemispheres (can get on ebay cheap) under your monitors to decouple them from whatever surface they're on. That will help with transmission of sound to the floor and might help cut down on sound that your neighbors hear.

Last edited:
And it's not worth the cost to soundproof an Apt. You may want to get a good set of headphones and keep your system turned down from 8-9pm to 10am.

Good news is, being that it's an apt., if it's carpeted, you most likely won't need much acoustical treatment if any.

Last edited:
I think the only real option you have is to buy/build some floor standing bass traps. You can move them around pretty easily within your apartment.

For the amount you'd need It would be cheaper to build them. Depending on your tenancy contract and your creeling joists/beams you might be able to mount them.

I have a really basic knowledge but that room looks like hell for acoustics, I thought mine was bad. I could be wrong though, its not uncommon lol

bluchippa5 said:
checkout www.gikacoustics.com

just dropped $160 that was well worth it!!! u won't find anything better or cheaper unless u do it urself...real talk!!! contact them and they'll even tell u how to setup ur room for free!! w/ their product of course...

Haha...yeah, that's true. Thanks for the kind words though.

Frank

RB-Productions said:
Hey FP. I need to treat my studio room, because:

* I live on the 8th floor of an Apt. building, and neighbours are probably going to start complaining.
* Improve recording from the microphone
* Better monitoring

I don't neccesarilly need proffesional treating (because I am still a beginner).

My ceilings are 8'7 feet high.

As you can see on the picture, the room is a weird shape, compared to having just a square room. Also, the doors are glass double french doors, which might be a problem.

Thank you, RB-Productions

First, turn the listening position so that you're facing the uneven wall to the left...that'll keep the other uneven wall to the rear, which may not be a bad thing. The uneven surfaces will disperse some reflections. You'll want to treat the bejeezus out of the front wall and back wall though...4" broad band traps on the front wall and 6" traps on the back wall. Try to cover all the corners you can with 4" bass traps. I'd stick with 4" traps at the reflection points and on the ceiling above your head.

I think the previous posters are right about two things: panels on stands will be your friends and soundproofing isn't worth the trouble or expense in an apartment.

Frank

Last edited by a moderator:
Back