Reverb Hell... (In control room)

dejavo

hi ive just been given a job as a producerl. and basically the studio of the record label that im with the control room is a room with out any acousitc treatment and its quite high also. and its made out of breeze blocks. and when you listen to a track threw monitors or just clap theres alot of reverb created by the room. i was thinking if i brougth conventional sponge/foam cuts and placed them around places in the room would that help and where and how should i place them around the room?

If anything, start with the low end. That's were most of your problems is going come from. Foam isn't going to take care of that.

Agreed - If there is no low-end management, take care of that first and foremost. After that, if there's still a problem with excessive ambience or flutter, at least you'll be able to zero in on it.

A "foam party" is shooting in the dark while missing the target every time.

Nothing on bass trapping there - (well, maybe a little on lower mids - LENRD's are pretty worthless for the "real" problems in the low end).

www.realtraps.com -- www.gikacoustics.com -- www.johnlsayers.com

F. Alton Everest: The Master Handbook of Acoustics

That's like the fifth time I've typed that tonight...

Last edited by a moderator:
Hehe yeah I was aware it wasn't loaded with info on bass traps as I grabbed that link - I'll leave the acoustic treatment specifics in your capable hands there John :)

Well, it does mention bass control - It's just that their "bass control" products aren't exactly "bass control" products if you catch my drift...

Neither is going to do anything for the low end inherent to a smaller room. The foam corner-type bass trap shouldn't even be allowed to be called a "bass trap" as they *hardly* handle even the lower midrange with any effectiveness.

When you're in a smaller room - Less than 200 sq. ft., it's even *more* crucial to have the low end under control than in a larger room where it has some "space."

do like Massive said, get some bass traps. That will take care of the low end, which will help with the reverb.

dejavo said:
at the moment i dont care about the bass end i just care about that reverb...

I'd suggest you do a bit more reading as far as acoustics go (I will, as well) before you start recording there.

You'll find the answer, and no, it is't in slanted foam.

Last edited:
Back