regarding a general all around mic....

MaXiMiLLioN

what should i get? for jus quick on the fly (OBVIOUSLy not studio quality)recording?

based on my research and extensive reading on this forum...I'm leanin toward the shure 57? or is it the shure sm 58? wuds the difference?

i want it basically when i wanna drop something right quick and not have to use the condensor mic? and something i can whip out and do a battle wit?

let me know yall

thanks!

p.s. also where the best i.e. RELIABLE, secure place to get it... online of course.... i don't know any stores in the 53189 zip...

one

Hey,

I'm not 100% sure, I don't own either them, but...

the 57 is designed for recording instruments, while the 58 is for vocals.

Both are excellent mics.
Good sound, good quality, cheap.

If you were to buy one, I dont think you'd regret it. they're good mics. I've even done some recordings with the 58.

KJ

Oh,

and they're both XLR connections. That i'm 100% sure on.

No phantom power needed for dynamic mics either.

KJ

^^ Yeah the 58 is more for vocals as it is called a stage mic. And the 57 is more for instruments!

Go with the 58 dude!

Or you can check out the differences between the 2 Here!

Purely out of curiosity Cubase (and keep in mind that I'm a total lemming when it comes to mics)... How is it that a 58 would be a better "all around" mic when its frequency range is (as I recall) less than that of the 57? I would think that if you're in need of a general studio mic you would lean toward the broader range, rather than one that is geared toward vocal work. I have both a 57 and a 58, and I would have to say that if I were forced to choose I would pick the 57 because it seems to do better with guitars and is still an acceptable mic for vocal work. Am I off base somewhere?

Thanx...

~T

I was curious and took a look for myself:

These are all posts from another forum, so take it with a grain of salt.

http://www.guitarists.net/forum/view.php/18,39367/sm_58/_sm_57_which_one?.html Says:
------------
"I think the 58 is primarily a vocal mic. The 57 is well known to work
for both vocals (w/wind screen) and instruments (w/o wind screen)"
------------
"Both mics can be used for anything and will sound good. The old "57=instruments, 58=vocals" is a myth made up by lazy sound enginers IMHO. Both can be used equally well for both vocals and instruments although the 57 is probably more versatile when it comes to instruments. "
------------
"there aren't really differences between the two. the difference between the two are only the polar patterns in each mic. which means where, how far out, and around the mic it will pick up. the 57 is used primarily for instruments/amps because the polar pattern is more of a straightforward pickup pattern whereas the 58 is more rounded best for the vocalist that moves around alot and whatever.
"
------------
"57 frequency response is 40Hz to 15Khz and a 58s frequency response is 50Hz to 15Khz."
------------

Soo....sounds like you were right Teuchos!

Last edited by a moderator:
Teuchos said:
Purely out of curiosity Cubase (and keep in mind that I'm a total lemming when it comes to mics)... How is it that a 58 would be a better "all around" mic when its frequency range is (as I recall) less than that of the 57? I would think that if you're in need of a general studio mic you would lean toward the broader range, rather than one that is geared toward vocal work. I have both a 57 and a 58, and I would have to say that if I were forced to choose I would pick the 57 because it seems to do better with guitars and is still an acceptable mic for vocal work. Am I off base somewhere?

Thanx...

~T

No problem, I'll try to answer this as best as I could.

I wasn't bashing the 57 at all. Shure makes both mics, yes the 57 has a wider range than the 58 because instruments have a wider frequency range than the human voice. The 58 is more custom tailored to the human voice.

I never used a 57 for vocals but I can almost bet that it would make them sound a bit on the harsh side (not a bad thing) because it can pick up a wider frequency range. Now the 58 has that more narrow (tailored for voice) frequency range would make it sound a bit warmer. If the dynamic range is way beyond the human voice it will still pick up frequencies and mesh them in with the vocals (which is why I guess it would sound harsher).

Summary: If you like the sound of the 57 over the 58, thats cool, there is no set rule on which mic to use. Even if you capture great sound with a $15 radio shack mic.

Shure made the 57 with instruments in mind, hence the broader dynamic range. That didnt mean you cant mic a human voice with it.

I hope I explained it well.

Edit: I am not saying the 58 would be a better "all around mic" but possibley a better mic to record his vocals with. Since its more tailored for vocals in the first place.

Last edited:
The 57 and 58 are identical, except that the 58 has a different head grill. Both will give you exactly what you need (i.e., a good all-round mic).

Don't forget, that in the 58, which is geared toward live work, a pop filter is incorporated into the grill's design.

Exactly...and thats why it is considered more of a 'stage' vocal microphone...not because it sounds better on the voice, but because it is designed so a vocalist can hold the mic and carry it around without the mic being affected as much with everything that comes with that, as a 57 would be, and its sturdy as hell if it gets knocked or dropped....For studio work I would still prefer to use a 57 on a voice personally, just tends to be a little clearer in my ears to the 58, possibly due to that grill which muffles things a little imo.

I never said you cant use the 57 for vocals, I only preferred the 58 because it was more geared for vocals by its dynamic range.

fSM57_large.gif

fSM58_large.gif

You can see by the charts that both mics are close in dynamics but still not that close. I think the 57 would make the vocals sound a bit harsher than the 58's warm sound.

Edit: The dynamic range of a mic plays a part of how the source would sound recorded. If that werent true than any mic would be appropriate for any application.

Last edited:
Eh...who cares what a chart says or what you might "think" based upon that, its great to assume things but test the differences first hand with your own ears if possible...I have, and I personally prefer the 57.....If someone has done the same test and prefer the 58, thats great, but dont presume to know something on sh!t you dont know when someone is asking about it, thats kinda ignorant dont you think?.....Besides, based on that chart you posted, in my eyes I'd still go with the 57 as it shows a little more character in the mid-high end, and alot less in the low which is what you would think most people would prefer out of a vocal mic.

I dont know where the word 'harsh' and 'less warm' comes in your vocabulary as far as the 57 compared to the 58...but by all means, keep talking out your ass-

You shouldnt be giving any opinions none the less lecturing me on what mic to use when you dont even know what kind of audio cables to buy! "Thats kind of ignorant dont you think?"

Here is your thread!

Who is "talking out of their a$$" now???

Jeez!

Last edited:
So the moral of the story comes down to dont be a tool, like CubaseDorxXor, and use what you prefer in the end.

For example:

Tool's first (full-length "undertow") album? almost ALL guitars recorded with sm58's...NOT sm57's

And it was produced by a woman :)
I've always thought that was cool as ****

Last edited by a moderator:
CubaseRox said:
You shouldnt be giving any opinions none the less lecturing me on what mic to use when you dont even know what kind of audio cables to buy! "Thats kind of ignorant dont you think?"

Who is "talking out of their a$$" now???

Thats the difference between me and you....I wont prance around pretending like I know **** that I really dont have much of a clue on telling people like it is...If I know something I tell it like it is, if I dont, I ask...Your advice has lost all credibility in my eyes, and you prove it over and over again....the comedy really writes itself with you dude.

Im PROUD of my technical gimpness and Im an idiot when it comes to alot of things, and so I've never needed to use a TRS cable in my life so sue me. I'm glad im learning **** rather than fronting like I dont need to.

Tosser

lIkE oK i wILL!!!!!1!!!!!1111!1!!

lIkE oMg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LMAO

Isn't it sad when the under-ambitious embrace their own self-imposed idiocy in a pathetic attempt at cunjuring up a fancifull, and ultimately false sense of inner pride? And furthermore - is it not a sure sign of malnourished intelect coupled with a proportionately exaggerated ego, when these same unfortunate heathens have progressed in their condition to such a degree that their conscience (or the lack thereof) might actually permit them to instigate what could only be construed as a suicidal engagement whereby their primal brutism is pitted against superior intellectual and psychological opponents (who most often find themselves unwilling participants) in an environment which favors the latter?

Very sad indeed...

~T

PS - My dad can beat your dad up.

PPS - This is what happens to Noobs who are given all the answers without first being required to learn anything beneath the surface of their initial inquiries.

if everyone's finished with the ego masturbation...

max: have a look at the rode nt1a condensor mic. I'm not sure what the pricing is like in the states but it can't be much more than the shures and the frequency response is way better.

Only flip side is you'll need a fairly quite space because condensors are highly sensitive. You'll also need a source with phantom power.

The way i see it, rather buy a mic +preamp that is going to keep you happy for a long time. Recording vox with a dynamic is not going to be good enough when compared to pro recordings.

Back