recording vocals

drspeed

Hi,

I record vocals through my rode nt1 into my focusrite pro then into sb live.
I then record into Cool edit Pro.
the problem is on cool edit the signal seems to be really lo compared to my beat.
Whe i compress it does bring it up slightly- i was just wondering if this is normal or should the vocals be bigger (waveform).
Is this normal? does anyone else find this ?
thanks

whaddya mean by lo?
how quiet is it? is it -12dB or is it mainly quiet but then loud and up to 0dB in other places... are you monitoring the input on meters when recording? how does it look on there? Is it only quiet on playback?

need more information to help you.

MM

Last edited:
Very nice set up. Im thinkin about gettin a focusrite, do you like it ?

Anywayz, to answer your question:
Are processing and normalizing your vocals ? You can get your waves at whatever you want by going to ....im trying to remember off the top of my head.....
Ok, bring the vocals to the single track screen, go to effects>Dynamic Processing>4:1 fast attack . This will make all the vocals levels equal. Then , go to Effects>Normalize>95%

This will should get your levels up. ALSO, one of your problems might be your soundcard. With what you doing SB Live is probably struggling to get any sound out.

thanks for the replies ,
Genetix get the focusrite its made a major difference to my recordings.
Ive always been told not to normalize as this destroys the vocals (is this right?)
Anyway i recorded it (havent mixed it properely yet) and its on my page
http://www.musicv2.com/artist/doctorspeed

And its called "NEW TRACK" let me know what you think (recording vocals , levels e.t.c.)

Not to normalize, i couldnt imagine not normalizing any of my tracks, that brings the sound up to a normal level then u tweak them to get them to sound betta, especially vocals, i normalize them every time, i also use a rode nt1, its a good mic, u know what well make it sound betta, get the antares mic modular, and make it sound like the nt 2 or the nueman u87, this plug-in is only 100 and its good, it dont make it sound exactly like the mic it models but somehow it makes ur vocals sound hella betta, but normalize ur vocals u'll be doing urself a favor -1-

Sounds pretty good but the vocals are missing something, sounds a lil hollow maybe. Try adding some different kinds of reverb to it.

You must be doing something wrong in your signal chain: given that you have a condensor mic (who have a high output compared to dynamic mics) and an OK preamp, your signal has to be at line level when it exits the pre. If the signal is weaker than other (virtual or recorded) instrumemts, then something is wrong. Bringing up the level by compression is flat our wrong! Compression takes a lot of dynamics out of the song! Limiting might improve the overall level a bit, but that's again the wrong approach in bringing up the signal level. Remember: compression and limiting is the natural enemy of reording vocals coz it kills the dynamics. Compression/limiting is only good when you want to enhance softer parts within vocals and make the vocals sound less dynamic.

Does the NT1 have a 10dB pad? Is the phantom power at 48V?? How far is the mic from the source? Doe you have excessive cable length between the mic ans the pre? Check everything in your signal path and might find what's wrong.

some overall good advice given round hurr. never used the sb live but it looks like a weak link in that chain.

I just listend to the NEW TRACK. Great song and awesome work!! The drums are far too loud, though.

The recording of the vocals, however, I dunno. They lack low and top ends and sound very flat, or hollow. It could be the mic, though. The NT1 is not particularly good for tracking HipHop/Rap. so that could be it. It could also be that your NT1 is a lemon! Is it an older model? Maybe it has excessive moist or even a thin layer of smoke on the capsule?? Do you have a high humidity in your vocal booth?

Also, try eq-ing, bring up the 7-10kHz top end to make the vocals shine a bit more. Add a bit more reverb, or even better: a touch of a pre-delay (which I prefer to reverbs coz it makes the vocals much fatter). Other than that: get a better mic :D The Shure SM7 or Blue DragonFly is exactly what you might need (at the cheaper end). If you are on a budget I'd recommend the AT4047. It sounds incredibly good, like a vintage FET mic, and has a nice "silkyness" to it -- for around 500 buxx. Have you ever rented mics from a studio before? That's a rather cost-effecttive way of auditioning a bunch of mics. Just keep in mind: your type of music lives from the vocals! That's where your gear has to shine, too.

Back