Recording schools

pcs99

Do you really get a lots out of the Recording courses or mostly from hands on experiences and self-learning? (some people think it's a waste of time and money to attend engineering or production program , all you got is a paper at the end says certificate on it) What is your oppinion?

If you have a really strong aptitude for music and recording technology to begin with ... these kinds of schools can give you a real headstart ... but if you have a strong aptitude and desire you'll eventually learn it anyway, IMHO.

If you have sortof minimal talent or aptitude, they can sort give you a kickstart and get you thinking in ways you never did, and teach you things you'd never learn on your own.

If you have no real talent or aptitude or desire, and think that these schools are somehow going to guarantee your success ... you are dreaming.

dansgold said:
If you have a really strong aptitude for music and recording technology to begin with ... these kinds of schools can give you a real headstart ... but if you have a strong aptitude and desire you'll eventually learn it anyway, IMHO.

If you have sortof minimal talent or aptitude, they can sort give you a kickstart and get you thinking in ways you never did, and teach you things you'd never learn on your own.

If you have no real talent or aptitude or desire, and think that these schools are somehow going to guarantee your success ... you are dreaming.

I agree, Hopefully next year Ill be going to Full Sail in Orlando. If musics your thing, go for it, if its just something your going to find you dont enjoy doing-especially as a career- its not for you. also, these production schools cost a LOT of money.
So many of my friends have bought guitars or something and havent touched them in months! so again, this is something your going to have to be interested in and love doing.

I went to full sail in Orlando FL and got associates degree in the recording arts. www.fullsail.com
I learned a lot from this program, things I didnt think I would learn in a year period, but the downfall is that now they have so many kids going through there its hard to get individual attention if you need it.
One thing that you can do is read as many books as you can get your hands on about recording engineering, and go an get an intership at a bigger local studio in your area. You will be cleaning toilets, and getting coffe/running around all the time, but if you spend most of your time there you will get to sit in on sessions and learn things you would never learn at any school.
Another thing is to get some programs, cubase, protools free, logic etc and teach yourself these programs inside and out, then you will have somethign to offer the studios you are interning at if the situation comes up and they need you. Mostly learn ProTools cause its in every worth while studio (bigger).
One other thing is if you decide to go to a school for recording engineering, start reading every trade mag you can get you hands on, and save every penny you can. Im in debt about 50 g's now...and don't expect to land a job right away out of school...It takes hard work and time...there are seasoned engineers out there with 10+ years experience working and the job you want. You have to work your way up the chain, and be there at the studio when they need someone to fill in a space thats open (assistant engineer leaving etc).

any questions hit me up peace

Rob
aka nuke

Last edited by a moderator:
So what are you doing now? This worries me cause working in the studio is the only job ill ever be happy with! I read every book and learn all the technical stuff I can already, what do they teach you at full sail besides the obvious recording techniques? Whats the employment % for graduates? And is a degree really neccessary for a PRO studio job? Im sure it would look very nice for employers when you have graduated a prestigious school but is it completely nesseccary or WORTH the expense to attend?

mushroomheadrg7 said:
is a degree really neccessary for a PRO studio job? Im sure it would look very nice for employers when you have graduated a prestigious school but is it completely nesseccary or WORTH the expense to attend?

Thanks for adding! It's what I want to know too!!;)

Im under the impression that if you have a degree and theres a job opening at some major label, your credentials pretty much assure you the job, as long as some old geezer with 10+ years experience applies too lol

a degree doesnt guarentee you a job in the field. Its mostly your experience that lands you the job. A studio manager is most def going to hire a seasoned engineer compared to some kid right out of school. Thats why it's important to work your way up in the studio you want to work for, and give it your all while you are there to show your worth paying and producing work to be charged for.
When a position is open a studio is going to hire from within before looking somewhere else. I'm saying this from previous experience with working with studios, and friends from school that have been hired from studios. One at Quad Studios in Nashville, TN. He was just hired as a assistant engineer, a step up from intern. He worked a part time job during the day for rent, and all night sometimes at the studio for free.
So just having a degree is not going to automatically land you a job in the industry. You still have to work your way up positions in a studio, having a degree gives you a huge edge in moving up that chain to head engineer way quicker then if you didnt.

Im just throwing out what Ive absorbed from school,internships,jobs, and friends that I have talked with..

hope this helps.

peace

Rob
aka nuke

With FS the (I guess) job % is 80%. Djnuke is correct though, I wouldnt go to a school thinking you can land a job right away. Especially with FS. I dont think going to a school would hurt, but it wouldnt land you the job. How would you find out about these studio jobs? I wanted to go to FS as well, but I really didnt want to spend 30 g's on a school that wasnt very highly recomended. I never thought about getting books, though. I still want to go to school to have some knowledge. I dont think it would hurt.

Isnt it hard to be accepted into some of those schools?

If you have a GED and money/loans/credit, then Full Sail will take you in. Berkley on the other hand hell no, you have to be going in the right direction already.
Job Placements will say 80%, but what they are not telling you is that that includes intern placement.

I shouldn't be doing this but the people should know......go to www.fullsailsucks.com It was made from some kids that I guess didn't get all they could have out of the school. Don't get me wrong the school is very nice, and I learned a shizzzz load more then I ever expected, but you get what you put into it. Hard work = knowledge. A bunch of kids just went there and expect to absorb information, but of course you have to study your arse off.

peace

Rob
aka nuke

i just contacted full sail a few weeks ago GED is not an issue, all u need is the highschool diploma

I studied a college program called Computer Assisted Sound Design and it cost me around 20 000$CAN. I definitely should've just bought books and gear with that money. Nothing I couldn't have learned by myself with books, the internet and gear to try stuff on... Not to mention I never found a decent job in that field even with a 90% average.

I'm bumping this cos this is very interesting, to read about the industry climate in the US. In the UK it is completely different.

Samplecraze said:
I'm bumping this cos this is very interesting, to read about the industry climate in the US. In the UK it is completely different.

What differences in UK ?

Here , it's like gold dust to get a job in a studio and even degree graduates have to start as a tea boy. Experience is what they are after here as there are so many tech schools and loads that carry diplomas that mean nothing. Loads of companies scamming eager newbies this way and it sickens us.

A few that are good are the Tonnmeister courses
Gateway School of Recording
Leeds Uni

The rest are second rate outfits run by failed engineers with worthless diplomas.

Back