Rate my setup

R

rhodes1

This is my setup rite now, ive been makin music for like a year now and im lovin what i got right now...i make trance btw, here it is

2 ghz, 560 ram comp
Emu 1820 soundcard
1 pair of studiophile bx5 monitors
Evolution 49 note midi keyboard
Cubase sx 2.0 (main sequencer)
Reason 2.5 (only use redrum and dr.rex)
Albino 2
Arturia Minimoog V
rgcaudio z3ta+ and Virus_Z3ta+ mod
NI Absynth 2
NI Pro-53

How do you think this setup is?

The next few things i wanna get is maybe 1 or 2 Spectrasonics synths and a used access virus b....i should have it by xmas

I think the question should be; " Hey guys what do you think about my music that was created using this set-up.

Who gives a damn about what u are using, people are only concerened about the final product, not about your journey to get to it!

Delphine said:
I think the question should be; " Hey guys what do you think about my music that was created using this set-up.

I think a set-up is just as important as the "final product".

Without a good set-up you cant achieve a good "final product"

Also it makes you feel good that someone out there says "Hey man you gotta sweet little set-up" "Can I hear some of the work you do with it?"

Who gives a damn about what u are using, people are only concerened about the final product, not about your journey to get to it!

Many people on here care about what eveyone uses, they care about what path was taken to get there so to say that would be a miss. I for one thing like to see what different pieces of gear people use. Knowing this info would benefit me or you if we were to buy new stuff to play with.

------------------------------------------

rhodes1 sounds like you got some decent gear. Have fun with it.

it is exciting to tell people about your set up especially if you are happy with it. Your setup sounds like a respectable cpu based setup. live long and prosper.

CubaseRox said:

I think a set-up is just as important as the "final product".

Nah, I’m going to have to agree with Delphine. You can have the tightest setup and produce stuff that sounds like crap.

The bottom line is, if I’m listening to your music, or if I rent out some studio time, if it sounds good I don’t care if your mic is a can with a string attached. If it sounds good, That’s the bottom line.

BCottonMusic said:

Nah, I’m going to have to agree with Delphine. You can have the tightest setup and produce stuff that sounds like crap.

If you also have crappy stuff you arent going to make it sound tight?

If thats the case then everyone should just use an analog 4 track.

The bottom line is, if I’m listening to your music, or if I rent out some studio time, if it sounds good I don’t care if your mic is a can with a string attached. If it sounds good, That’s the bottom line.

It is a natural instinct as an engineer or producer to ask yourself "What did they use to get that sound/effect or result?"

50% of this site is about what people use, so to ask people to rate your stuff is equally important.

Last edited:
CubaseRox wrote: I think a set-up is just as important as the "final product".

Without a good set-up you cant achieve a good "final product"

Nobody said that a set-up should be poor, obviously the gear you have reflects a certain production standard to some degree, but it's all about how you use that gear, rather than just having the best stuff available.

CubaseRox wrote: Many people on here care about what eveyone uses, they care about what path was taken to get there

Yes but that's different than thinking you need that gear in order to get that sound. What amazes me ( and I am not saying this guy is doing this ) is the fact that people start downloading this and that like there's no tomorrow, thinking that they can now make better music. The resulting reality is poorer music because the people never really have the chance to get to know anything, they are blinkered in this madness of 'Oh, I must have it syndrome', in the mistaken belief it is going to come to their aid in their search to improve themselves.

It's rubbish and these software engineers have latched onto this crazy technology greed and are releasing ridiculous amounts of software alongside advertising telling people that they need this and that etc.

I suppose it's a good marketing strategy for them targetting beginners in this manner, because in essence they ( and magazines ) bombard them with this and that and people actually become brainwashed into thinking they actually need all this stuff. Then 6 months down the line and an empty bank account and they hear about the next thing they should get. It's terrible IMO and I wouldnt like to recommend anything all but the basics to anyone because they need to explore those basics a bit more before moving on because its only then that you realsise what you may or may not need for your music.

The set-up the guy has there ( If its all new ) is gonna take him an age to get the best out of, but I'd bet my bottom dollar that he will download something new weekly and so begins the path of technological laziness, ( something I have fell victim to as well )

In this day and age with the internet and huge amount of downloadable freebies and demo's, its just too easy to get lost in a vast array of sonic possiblities for any musician. The days when people were limited with what they had are long gone and it's a shame because that was when some of the most influential stuff was around. Artists knew their equipment inside and out, they new how to exploit it and get the amazing sounds that half of the music communtity is still trying to emulate today.

And this is my point, whilst I have completely jumped the gun and overpresumed his post, I have heard it so many times and it usually eludes to this kind of mistaken belief.
My advice would simply be, to get a set-up and stick with it, get to know it inside out and use whatever you have to its full potential, no more, no less. Just by doing this alone, you start to understand your own music and requirements when seeking out new additions to your studio.

It's just too expensive to not take it seriously, unless of course you are into the crack thing, but even then you are you own worst enemy because you fall victim to your own greed and still never realise your set-ups full potential because you grab the next available plug and so the cycle continues.

Limited set-ups are proven to provide the best results is all I am saying and for anybody starting out it can be realy tempting for them to get 'everything'. But the learning curve/music making ratio has to be met somewhere and I would advise anyone to take as much time as they can learning the equipment they have at their disposal.

( Errr sorry for the short essay, but it is something I feel quite strongly about. It's just not nice seeing people thinking they need to spend all this money to make better music )

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats a good post man, you speak the truth...

i think every young person like myself who gets into music is obsessed with gettin all the new gear, and honestly tahts how i used to be too when i started a while back but know im just concentrating on making music only and the process of music making...i take it very seriosuly and im going a 2 year music school...

S.A.E in NYC.....its a graet school from what i heard.

Giganova said:
If your setup works for you, you obviously have the right setup. So what was the question again??

Well put. You said what I was trying to say in 1 sentence. It’s all about getting the sound “YOU” as an individual want from your gear.

At the end of the day, pretty much ask yourself, “Am I getting the around you want?” Because then the questions goes from “rate my gear” to “what piece of equipment can give me this or that sound.”

Hey rhodes1, don't get frustrated by the replies: a while ago, I was in the exact same situation as you. I always questioned if I had made the right purchase choices and I constantly asked people what they thought about my gear. Example: I have this lil digital mixer (Roland VM3100Pro). I kept seeing these humangeous mixing desks and thought "oh boy, if I ever have a "hit album" and people ask me how I did it, or a magazin someday aks for an interview, I'd be embarrassed to deeeaaaath when they hear that I have this ridiculously small mixer". But hey, you know what? I don't need more than 8 channels of simultaeous input, and my songs for sure have pro quality. And the routing options of the digital desk are ace. So screw them if they laugh about me!

Now I have a different approach: I keep asking my self one single question:

What limits my creativity?

A year ago it was my sequencer, so I got a decent DAW. Sometimes it can be little things: I noticed that if I had more CPU power or RAM, I could have more FX; so I went out and bought a 1GB RAM module. Huuuuge improvement in my sounds & creativity, who would have thought that? Next I realized that I never liked my high hats, so I went out and auditioned dozens of drum machines, until I found one that had the exact high hat I had in my mind. I don't give a damn anymore what others think what kinda gear I have. All that matters is that it keeps my creative juices flowing, and that the end product sounds as good as I wanted it to be.

Yup! Of course the final product matters but i wanna know what people on here use. I think all of us new guys want to know. I take the time to read the long list of equipment people type on here. Makes me a little jeolous but atleast i know what i might need in the future or might could do without.

Delphine said:
Nobody said that a set-up should be poor, obviously the gear you have reflects a certain production standard to some degree, but it's all about how you use that gear, rather than just having the best stuff available.

I never said your stuff can't be poor.
rhodes1 asked his setup to be rated, and you answered with:

I disagreed because that is foolish to say that. The stuff you use is half of what gets to a final product.

Yes but that's different than thinking you need that gear in order to get that sound. What amazes me ( and I am not saying this guy is doing this ) is the fact that people start downloading this and that like there's no tomorrow, thinking that they can now make better music.

I feel equipment is in grades, the better stuff you have the higher the grade. Yes you can make some decent stuff with low grade equipment, but even the most experienced engineer/producer can only go so far with low grade gear. "better" stuff will take you a bit further. As fas as needing it, that all depends how serious you are about yoru music.

The set-up the guy has there ( If its all new ) is gonna take him an age to get the best out of, but I'd bet my bottom dollar that he will download something new weekly and so begins the path of technological laziness, ( something I have fell victim to as well )

Not at all! If this guy has this talent within himself to create music, then all he would have to do is learn the basic functions of his equipment. That would include reading the manuals, which most people never do, thats why you see silly questions popping up on here. And it shouldnt take him that long either. I still dont know every aspect of my stuff, (nobody does) but I learn as I go in some cases.

( Errr sorry for the short essay, but it is something I feel quite strongly about. It's just not nice seeing people thinking they need to spend all this money to make better music )

I hardly read long posts like this, I didnt even read yours fully through.

I just skimmed through and saw this at the end.

gunther said:
how do u like that emu 1820 soundcard?

Emu 1820 is a great card....its the only card youll ever need..or at least for a long while.

I wish i had a better comp to go with my nice card though, my comp is a crap with tons of viruses in it...gotta reformat this shiat soon

this thread wasnt about my music, just what people thought about my setup? If iwas gonna post a song i would of titled this thread *rate my song*...but you see i didnt, i just wanted peole to check what i have and if they had any suggestions..see?

Back