Rap beats Production HELP

J

j22

I want to make my own beats and not use anyone elses samples, so I can actually promote a CD.
! What's the best drum machine for rap beats? Without stupid samples. Something I can create my own stuff with. Then I'll get me a synth keyboard.

Set up: Cool Edit Pro, Audio Technica AT 4040, BlueTUBE>

Getting the Terratec DMX 6 Fire. Anyone got experience with it? It should be what I need 24bit/96 KHZ one Mic Input, Headphone Out, MIDI In, and A/D conversions.

Need all the help I can get to sound as professional as possible.

Help me out Vets.

^ i second that

if you got the scratch i would get a used triton le or motif, they are both aroung $800 on ebay ....sounds are much better

Don't get EMU stuff, Mo-phat, or any of that garbage. These products are a scam. All they are doing is playing a set of samples(ROMS)inside. These machines were targeted for people just like yourself getting started. But I garantee that you will sell them later because you have "used" all the sounds you actually liked. You will be dead sick of your machine. These "ROMPLERS" don't cost EMU alot of money to make, they are profitting off the "newbies" ugly. It cost a company more money to design a sampler, thats why they cost more.Buy yourself a Sampler. Start collecting drum sounds and you really don't need to buy another drum machine, you'll see. Oh and if you are interested in real boom stuff, 808 bass stuff, a Korg ER-1 is cheap and good for this. But the ER-1 can't do it all, it is goog just for analog percussion stuff. Just make sure the sampler can sample at least at 32khz sampling rate, 16 bit. 44.1khz 16 bit is better. If you are interest in having that "12-bit" sound (SP12 for example) for God's sake save your cash and don't buy the Real machine (ROLAND SP12). Here's a trick of the trade: buy a Behringer DSP2024 FX rack, it has a bit-reducer on it. You can rerecord your samples to anything you want 8-bit(Nintendo), 12-bit,7-bit;whatever. It even simulates fuzz and hum of old devices, the effect is called Lo-Fi on it. In other words, what ever you want to sound literally old school, you pass the sound through the "Lo-fi". There are other Bit reducers out their but this one is the cheapest: $129 new $90 used average.

K..then what's good for snare drum sounds?

Is the MPC 2000 even better? I'm willin to save up the dough to get the top of the line stuff. So with that said, what's the top notch drum machine?

write my own is totally correct, i got my mo phatt and thats all i use for sounds, the most you could make is like 10 songs before you start using the same beat over and over.Dont do it..if you eva get an mpc just get sample cds and 8 out them bitches to your recorder/software.

hey i got a question, i bought a sample cd off ebay and my mpc cant read it.i can play the sounds on my comp but they just dont get read on my mpc, they are wav. files.Any suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:
well, the guy saying the emu's are a waiste of money has a point...but, on the other hand, a lot of other synths have a lot of garbage sounds not tailored for hip hop. mophat will give you all the bass you ever need and a lot of decent drums to tweak...

if your looking to create 'sample' based music, i would go w/ the yamaha RS7000 like the guy above said. i own one and make nothing but hiphop and it is great. it has effects and filters and the onboard sounds can fit into tracks here and there (DEF. NOT A MOTIF) drums are damn good as well. but i have a drum library of thousands of sampled drums so i hardly use them.

you should also look into the Roland MC-909, its basically the same thing, but you can install xv boards (GREAT SOUNDS) it will cost you 300-400 more though.

mpc's are great sequencers, but have no onboard sounds, and little processing abilities. plus they tend to cost more.
if you go mpc, look into the mpc1000

peace

I started out using beat machines (Roland MC 505). They're cool and all, but jump on a keyboard like the triton or the new roland ones and you're beats will fly dawg! If yer short on cash, then invest in some software programs like reason or project5. Trust me...beat machines are limiting unless they sample like the MPC.

Ace Nova said:
\\

if your looking to create 'sample' based music, i would go w/ the yamaha RS7000

K...if I use the samples...I can adjust the tempos and everything and be able to use those 'samples' on a cd and be able to sell it...even though they are samples? Then add synths to it in my own style and I'll be on my way to promo'n a cd? :victory:

yo chief, you gotta slow down...first off, yes you can change the tempos by speeding up or slowing down any sample. and yes you can always add anything you want to your music. and yes, you can put it on cd... but first you need the right set-up.

you need a decent soundcard (look in any recording magazine) and you need a software sequencer. Im suggesting software cause hardware will cost a lot and nowadays you can do sooo much with just a computer and some plug-ins.

so, jj tell me what setup you got and ill give you some more info...but slow down about promotion cd's and all that if your just starting, cause you gotta crawl before you can walk homey..

peace

I got Cool Edit Pro, Audio Techinica AT 4040 mic, Terratec DMX 6 Fire Sound card, Dell PC 128 MB RAM which I'ma upgrade to 512 MB RAM, BlueTUBE mic pre, and now all I need is some good beat makin' stuff bro. So I'm crawlin' homie, but I just ain't walkin yet :D

You have tough choice J22. But, it's all about your approach. Are you a keyboard player or are you interested in playing keyboards? If so, then the Triton, Motif.....route is a good choice. If you are not a keyboard player, but feel confident tapping out music on pads or even lunchroom tables, then the MPC is a good choice.

I like the MPC, myself, but I also have a keyboard [Korg T3] and some rack mount samplers too. If you can afford it, you can never have too many tools. So although dude my be right about the EMU products, if they are just one part of your arsenal, then they can be very useful.

If you are MPC hunting, I suggest the 1000. It's cheaper and interfaces with your computer very easily. I have a MPC3000, but I wouldn't suggest it because it costs a little too much and because it's old technology now and can be troublesome for a new user.

So, if you've got the the cheddar, MPC1000 and maybe even one of those EMUs. They are cheap and they do sound decent. I don't know if anyone here has used software synth editor/librarians, but they allow a synths to actually be programmed. You'd be surprised how that 10 year old synth can sound like a new one. It's all in the programming.

Oh yeah. OOHOTCARMELLO, your MPC is probably a 2000 or 3000. The CD sounds are WAVs and can'tr be read by those older machines. You need a software program to turn your WAVs into SNDs. Go to: www.midicase,.com
and check out his info. He has a freebie PC program and a pay PC program for ya. If you need a Mac program, holler at me.

Ok. I'm running. Good luck yall.

MPC Period Hands Down. If you like to play keyboards get one and hook it up to your MPC. Get the MPC 2000XL or 1000. You won't be sorry especially for hip hop..

Not sure if its been answered, but the guy who said your MPC can't read the sounds, they have to be in .snd format for the MPC to read them. You can put the CD in your computer and connect the out to the in of the MPC, and sample them that way I reckon.

to answer one of ur first questions
u can promote stuff if u buy a sample
u can buy cds with drum kits and factory sounds just like the ones preloaded in a commandstation
if u want to
look at it like a customizable drum machine

umm..is the mpc really that much better than the rm1x sequencer (rs7000) iv never used the mpc, but people tell me they are very similar...is there really much of a difference when it comes to sequencing?? i mean, once you pass the learning curve..

dunno, just like to hear your thoughts.

nobledru said:
MPC Period Hands Down. If you like to play keyboards get one and hook it up to your MPC. Get the MPC 2000XL or 1000. You won't be sorry especially for hip hop..

basically

and if ya talkin bout east coast style hip hop you gonna end up wantin to sample jus go head and sample fa real, it can create a certain magic u cant find wit a synth. for down south beats tho synths do the trick most of the time.

and once again, go wit the mpc if you tlakin bout hip hop, theres NO WAY you wont be satisfied, its jus impossible, this comin from a hip hop producer, its been used by every hardcore hip hop producer for a reason, its a no brainer...

Back