R&B Hip Hop Project studio

Kidtonz

I have $5000 to spend . for my project studio . i have read many messages. on this very same subject." what to buy" i know im gettin an MPC 2000XL , Triton 61 key, but what else do i need. i have cubase, and some others. for software. on an AMD 1.6 Athlon 512mb ddr ram, 2 40 ibm drives. what do i need to hook all this up. and record. ?????

Big Corleone said:
i hate you
lol
you sound set, what do you want? you can get new mpc2000xl and triton 76key off ebay for a good price

You need a soundcard. Other than that you seem pretty set to go. You might want to consider a mixer as well, as this will allow you to expand more easily and makes monitoring simpler (no latency issues). Actually, you didn't mention how you were planning on listening to your stuff, computer speakers (bleuurrgghh), home stereo (not great, but passable), proper studio monitoring (great, but expensive).

Just for the record I hate you too.;) 5g's to spend on gear, how nice would that be?

KasioRoks

:bat:

yeah. im looking at a 16 channel mackie mixer, Roland monitors, would a layla or Motu work with this. what would it allow me to do. Also would a midiman router 8 be better.. a small compressor.

--Tonz

Peace, just a simple question why buy a MPC and a Triton ? That's two sampler/sequencers thats wasting money and besides the Triton is really overrated on the DL if anything get a Motif6 and Motu's new firewire recording setup You'll have money for a preamp microphone and have some change left over. Again this is just my two cents
PEACE

well. I plan to use the MPC for drums.and sequencer . and the Triton for sounds and playing. what would you recommend . also would it be cheaper to by a rack mount keyboard. and a midi controller . thanx for all the help . got a few more questions too .. hehhe. once i get it all. what plugs into what????? .. so your saying its a waste of money to get both. ???

--kidtonz

Maybe it's just me I could be too thrifty, but I think that buying both the triton and the MPC too much, again check the Motif the sounds are Bananas and even the Yanaha RS7000 is dope, and it costs less than the MPC. Don't get me wrong the MPC is a dope sampler/sequencer but if you dont have to spend the extra cash save the money. Hell all I use an Ensoniq ASR-10 and it's done me and it's still doing me justice, I will admit when the Triton first came out I was like oh ISH but when the Motif came out that get me open and its $300.00 cheaper too.

Peace

yeah....i use an ASR-X Pro....(fuc|< those that hate on it)....and i just got me an SCSI CD-ROM and HD for it....the joint is HOT. i'm able to make hot joints with it now.....plus the 18 mb of ram helps too

With 5000, buy the best that money can buy for your studio. Buy equipment that will be compatible to what's in the industry.. THEN once you get these basics down.. Then get extra toys that make your sound yours.

If I were you I'd get

Intitial 5k
MPC-2000 XL Studio with Zip (1500)
Ensoniq ASR-10 (800)
Korg Triton Rack (1500)
Behringer MX3232 (1200) 32Channels
Behringer Truth Monitors (400)
Sony Minidisc (200)
Rode NT-1 (200)
This will allow you to make beats, mixing each channel independently into your mastering device,

This setup has your necessary components. Take the money that you will make from recording projects to purchase a multitrack recording system.. Either a TASCAM MX2424 or a Otari Radar..

This is high end gear that will pay you back..

Big Corleone said:
yeah....i use an ASR-X Pro....(fuc|< those that hate on it)....and i just got me an SCSI CD-ROM and HD for it....the joint is HOT. i'm able to make hot joints with it now.....plus the 18 mb of ram helps too

Hey.. I'd like to hear your music.. I have yet to hear anyone's stuff who uses an ASR other than timbaland. Does the box have the same capability as the keyboard version?

anointed2 said:
With 5000, buy the best that money can buy for your studio. Buy equipment that will be compatible to what's in the industry.. THEN once you get these basics down.. Then get extra toys that make your sound yours.

If I were you I'd get

Intitial 5k
MPC-2000 XL Studio with Zip (1500)
Ensoniq ASR-10 (800)
Korg Triton Rack (1500)
Behringer MX3232 (1200) 32Channels
Behringer Truth Monitors (400)
Sony Minidisc (200)
Rode NT-1 (200)
This will allow you to make beats, mixing each channel independently into your mastering device,

yea that sound fine. but he can still get much prices than that. i think instead of the trition rack just get a 61key trition or a motif. those truth monitiors are crazy, i was gonna cop a pair myself. Rode nt-1... if not a studio projects c1...right now both are the best mics under $250

Beats on an ASR-10

If you look at www.sandboxautomatic.com if you look up Mr. Complex: "The Complex Catalog" under the CD's section or "Hold This Down" I did some tracks using the ASR-10. For the "Complex Catalog" I did "C.O.R.E.Mix" and the "Stabbin You Remix"

On "Hold This Down" I did "Everybody Everywhere" and "People Don't Know"

It'll produced produced by Chris Jarvis

I hope that helps

PEACE

man
i got the sp808 a vm3100 pro hooked to my puter
a rmix hooked up to an an1x
one technic 1200 hooked through a vestax mixer
one mc 505 and a boss 202
to sweet the deal id get a mo phatt or a novation bass station keyboard
hip hop though is all about the breaks
get yourself a nice table for that akai mpc
dont put a gold collar on a pig
word

MoLeKuLaR said:
Peace, just a simple question why buy a MPC and a Triton ? That's two sampler/sequencers thats wasting money and besides the Triton is really overrated on the DL if anything get a Motif6 and Motu's new firewire recording setup You'll have money for a preamp microphone and have some change left over. Again this is just my two cents
PEACE

I'm sorry for being a newbie!!
But can anybody tell me what's that firewire thing?
Answers will be appreciated.

Fire.....wire

Firewire is a newish protocol/method for transferring data between things. I've no idea how it works, but it's just like a newer version of USB and SCSI (of course it must be loads better because it's new, right?;)) All the new Macs ship with firewire ports (and USB) so manufacturers are starting to create music hardware that attaches to firewire ports. I'm sure someone else will be able to give more detail, but that's the long and the short of it.

KasioRoks

Re: Fire.....wire

Thanks a lot KasioRoks. I have an idea at least. Thanks a lot.

wkiw said:
man
i got the sp808 a vm3100 pro hooked to my puter
a rmix hooked up to an an1x
one technic 1200 hooked through a vestax mixer
one mc 505 and a boss 202
to sweet the deal id get a mo phatt or a novation bass station keyboard
hip hop though is all about the breaks
get yourself a nice table for that akai mpc
dont put a gold collar on a pig
word

Hey patna..
I also have an SP-808... Do you trigger it from your sequencer or do you just throw loops into it.. How deep are you into that box? Maybe there's some things you can help me with.

Back