Quick question for Massive . . .

djba$$ay2k5

Hey Massive, i am about to goto Art Institute of ATL to get my Bach's in Audio Production. Got accepted, blah blah . . . but the first thing the ASST admissions director told me was "read up on your hardware if you want to succeed.". so im like ok . . . where do i start?(who makes quality and who makes garbage: who is underrated and who is overrated) So i decided to start with mixing\then mastering. while i was reading i came across SPL(www.[SIZE=-1]soundperformancelab.com)[/SIZE][SIZE=-1], when i have heard nothing about until this point. But upon further observation of the site, the are very well known and have qualtiy hardware. but to my point, i was reading on the [/SIZE][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]PQ Mastering Equalizer (http://www.spl-usa.com/PQ/pq_in_short.html) and the[/FONT][FONT=verdana,arial,sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Passeq[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] (http://www.spl-usa.com/passeq/2595_inshort_E.html) and now im stomped for what the difference is between these two EQ's. I asked meccastyles but he couldnt say much. can you help out please?
[/FONT]

They're totally different circuit designs and types -

If nothing else, go to the "detailed information" pages. And look at the controls - They don't exactly see eye-to-eye...

Last edited by a moderator:
you'll be a bit hard pressed to find SPL gear in _recording studios_ over here in the states - most people spring for manley if they want a passive EQ.

are you looking to get into mastering? because if that's the case, i suppose it would pay to be familiar.

MASSIVE Mastering said:
They're totally different circuit designs and types -

If nothing else, go to the "detailed information" pages. And look at the controls - They don't exactly see eye-to-eye...

sorry for wasting your time, i figured it out some time before your post.

DonaldCrunk said:
you'll be a bit hard pressed to find SPL gear in _recording studios_ over here in the states - most people spring for manley if they want a passive EQ.

are you looking to get into mastering? because if that's the case, i suppose it would pay to be familiar.

yes, im looking to be a mix and master engineer(putting production aside for now). im trying to cover my bases on the related hardware b4 the fall sessions start at AIA so i can have a heads up on curriculum. releasing how much\little i know now is one of those steps i need to take in the right direction(according the ASST admission dir.)

Last edited:
Back