Questions: Computer for Home Studio

1)Anyone have a mother board with the audio build into it, but still use a PCI sound card? Any issue with this? Is it better to go with a mother board with no sound build into it?

2) How much of a difference would you calculate seeing for just sound recording from 512mb Ram to 1 gig? I know more ram is good but is up to 1 gig REALLY necessary?

3)What OS do most of you guys use? Windows 2000, XP or ME, 98?

Thanks in advance.

And this isn't posted in "Computer Tweaks and Setup" ... because ...?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have onboard sound, but it's disabled. Even if it wasn't I don't see me having any issues. I have had a ton of audio devices combined and none gave me an issue in Winxp.

I'd say 768 megs of ram is enough to run a program reliably and comfortably. A gig is rarely a necessity but it helps at times for me.

I use XP. All I've read about computer DAWs never said anything about onboard audio being a problem when you get a soundcard.

all you have to do is disable your onboard sound in windows and everything works fine. sometimes you can even have it enabled and everything will work fine.

as far as ram, i have 768 mb and it is fine for what i do now, but later im going to upgrade to 1 gig or more.

oh and i use xp.

I have had several systems with onboard sound enabled and everything worked fine.

On my last system a P4 I went from 512 meg to 1 gig and didn't notice any improvement to speak of.

XP is very stable for audio, but it does need to be tweaked to get all of those background bells and whistles out of the way to improve performance.

I will say RME has a very good article on Firewire and XP. It doesn't seem to be that great in XP to date.

dansgold said:
And this isn't posted in "Computer Tweaks and Setup" ... because ...?
1) I didn't know such section existed
2) This has to do with my "HOME STUDIO" computer.

So you gave me a BS respose like that because.....?

Thanks everyone else for the "helpful" responses.

Last edited:
Tim20 said:

XP is very stable for audio, but it does need to be tweaked to get all of those background bells and whistles out of the way to improve performance.

I know that my main software I use for a seqeuncer has audio problems with xp. at least it says that when I intall in on an XP computer. I use Sonic Foundry's Vegas Audio.

whether or not you deactivate you integrated sound card, you shouldn't have a problem.

I have 1 gig of memory and I'm good...for now! I use a lot of vsts though.

xp is the most stable os to date since 98. 2000 is ok...winme is crap!

...oNe...

BCottonMusic said:
1)Anyone have a mother board with the audio build into it, but still use a PCI sound card? Any issue with this? Is it better to go with a mother board with no sound build into it?

I have an on-board soundcard, and a echo gina/24. I didnt disable my windows sounds. You don't have to disable your windows sounds. You can tell windows to play its sounds through the OEM card. And only have your recording app(s) use your PCI card. This is how I have it configured and I have no conflicts at all, The only way you would have a problem is if both sound devices are on the same IRQ, but the IRQ steering should make sure they are not sharing.

Control Panel>Sounds, Speech and Audio Devices>Sounds and Audio Devices.

Just choose your OEM sound card for the choices.

2) How much of a difference would you calculate seeing for just sound recording from 512mb Ram to 1 gig? I know more ram is good but is up to 1 gig REALLY necessary?

I see in a lot of articles "the more RAM the better". Especially if you intend to use a bunch of VST's. The answer is yes it is neccessary but if you don't have more RAM its not that bad. If you can afford then do it.

3)What OS do most of you guys use? Windows 2000, XP or ME, 98?

I advise XP pro! Win 2k is good also.
Stay away from ME, in that case just use 98se I hear it is more stable than ME.

Thanks in advance.

Your Welcome!

Last edited:
Back