Question on the listening position

D

Disasster

hey,

i need some help finding how far my head should be from the wall, and how far apart my speakers should be.

My room is - 9'9" X 10'1" X 8'

It has a window on the middle of the 10'1 wall
I got 12 bass traps and 8 Broadband absorbers

Right now i have my head around 5 feet from the 10'1" wall with the speakers being 3 feet apart ( there laying sideways and i messureed from the tweeters )

Now when i move my head more to the right, left or back, it seems to be more bass and im wondering what i should listen to.......or should i move the speakers closer and move my listening position closer to the wall.....or is this just normall.

I'll try and post some pics soon*

any help will be appreciated
Thank you

12 Bass traps - Good. Floor to ceiling, all four corners, one in each high corner. 4 BBA's on the back wall, 2 on the front, one (each) horizontally high at ear height (maybe 6" below ear level on the bottom) on the sides between you and the speakers. Which is going to be maybe a foot off the front wall.

Your head should be 4 feet from the 9'9" wall. That's the *best* spot in the room. The problem you're going to have is that is only 12 inches from the absolute *worst* spot in the room.

But if all the bass traps and BBA's are set up well, you can probably "blur" that spot a little.

I won't kid you though - The first possible chance you have to get out of that space, take it. That's going to be an incredibly touchy and picky space.

Thanks for the reply massive.

Heres some pics of what my room looks like:

I have it set up so im facing the 10'1 wall, should i switch it around some that im facing the 9'9' wall..... The only thing that im scard of doing that is getting more reflection off the window......and i dont really want to cover the window up

I also have two 4" thick and two 2" thick pannels left to put up once i get some more fabric.

p.s - What does the worst spot in the room sound like? is there lots of bass....no bass at all?

Thank you for your time

This is how i have my speakers set up:

Last edited by a moderator:
The worst spot will have either the most buildup, the most cancellation, or both (in differing frequencies). It's a BIG problem in a small room - Especially one that's almost square.

I suppose switching direction isn't going to make enough of an effect because of such a tiny difference - But it wouldn't surprise me if "the best you can do" acoustically speaking in a room with those dimensions isn't quite acceptable as to what you're looking for.

Well with that being said, should i pay more attention to the part of the room with more bass or should i just be listening at 4 feet from the wall to hear the most acurate sound?

Also when calibrating, would i turn my volume all the way up on my mixer, and then adjust the volume on the speaker itself to get a reading at -79 on the spl?

thank you

That 4' point (actually .38 from the wall) is going to have the least amount of buildup and null points. It's going to be the most accurate part of the room in relation to what the speakers are putting out.

*How* accurate it is at that spot is the question - With those dimensions, you're going to be sitting inside of an acoustical nightmare. The bass trapping is certainly helping - It's just hard to know how much without having the room shot.

On the monitoring level - You should be hitting 79dBSPL (-20dBRMS pink, C-weighted, slow response) at some sort of easily repeatable "home" position. If you have a unity notch on your controller, that's the easy one. If not, a mark at the 1 or 2 o'clock position. You want to have some room to go higher and lower. If you max out at 79dBSPL, you aren't going to be able to hear well during tracking.

And while that general level is going to be the most accurate (to human hearing), you're definitely going to want to go under *and* over it without your gear running out of room.

alright, thanks for your help.

I just got one more question about the pink noise.

I found these pink noise files on a website that are -20dbfs and there are three of them:

- Pink noise full
- Pink noise 500-2500Hz
- Pink noise 40-80HZ

I should use the pink noise full right?

Full is what you're looking for. Get all three though if they're available. The 40-80 will come in handy for calibrating subs or finding nasty spots in the lows. The .5-2k is nice for speaker placement (angles).

Yea, i got all of them.

So when finding the bad spots in the lows.......i go round the room and find the louder spots in the room where it builds up and the spots where its low?

How would i use the .5-2k for speaker placment?

Thank you

The 40-80 would be for calibrating the sub - A sine sweep would help also. But you could spot check the room with it. Every couple square feet or so with the meter. It'll show you peaks, but probably not nulls.

The mid noise is very directional without being overly strident - Picking angles and such.

Back