Question for anyone with Studio Monitors...

KomplexBeats

Grindin 24/7
I was wondering do you guys who have a nice set of monitors mix in a room thats acoustically treated? Like do your walls have padding, bass traps, etc.? I have been needing to get a pair of monitors for a minute now but the problem is I am in a small college dormroom where I can't treat the room. Can I still achieve a decent mix without a room that is treated?

Peace

Komplex, it depends on the room itself. What is the shape, does it have high ceilings, does it have bay windows, is it predominantly made of wood, is it carpetted etc..etc...? The room itself is crucial as this is what the acoustics is all about, the shape, the materials it's made of, the dimensions etc...Using nearfield monitors and at mid level with you close to them should be ok so long as the room doesn't have too many hotspots thus negating insulation, bass traps etc...

I'll be measuring the room soon I am not sure where I'll be staying next fall though. If I go home for college I'll be treating my whole room at home and making a nice setup there. In college its a different story. Thanks for the helpful advice though.

Peace

As long as your sitting position and the two monitors form an equidistant triangle, you're good without special arrangements or materials. Having those extras is great but if space and/or money is tight...

okay i know the first guy that commented is correct about the size, shape, matterials, ect.. also the second guy is right about having them close to you also. if you have studio monitors period you can make a DECENT mix. my studio is in my bedroom, and i have 5 windows in there. this past weekend i went out and got some wood, and the studiofoam for my room. i only got 4 sheets of 2x4" piramid foam. i built a quadra folding wall that was 5" tall and a total of 7" wide. basically i made 4 section that are 27'wide x 5" tall and hindged them together so i could fold them out and make a kind of box around me, or i could fold them up and place it under my bed. i know this might not make much sense to you, but just take what i have said and think about it. if you would like me to draw it out on a simple painting program that windows comes with and send it to you for a visual guide i will do so. just send me your email addy. i will tell you that the foam does make a hell of a difference in the sound. the sound used to shoot past me and echo around in the room, now that i have the wall that i can just pull around my computer any time i want and remove it any time i want i can tell a huge difference in the sounds. you can even back up into the foam while talking and it sounds like you are behind yourself. it almost screws with your head the way it works. also do your research before you buy the foam, because there are all kinds of foam out there, different shape, and sizes. there is a web site that this company has that will tell you how much foam you need and where to place it if you tell them your budget, your planes for the room, size, material and so on. the website is www.auralex.com.

good luck with it.

joseph n.

If I move back home I got an estimate of what I need from auralex but up here in the dorm I dont know If I'll be able to treat the room.

What you said about a folding wall might work though.

Peace

INFECTEDGROOVES said:
okay
... blah blah blah ...
joseph n.

Not a bad idea. I might try something similar. Space is definately an issue for me as well, and something collapsable might work. Thanks for the idea.

i am glad to have giving you something to think about. i know it made the world for my set up. the sound is so much better with the foam. well if you have anything else you are thinking about please post it so that could think about it. i just love music. anyways good luck with the studios.

Back