Question about MP7

G

geegwynn

I plan on buying an Emu MP-7. Can I take sounds from a synthesizer and use it with the MP-7?

I am not sure exactly what you want to but the answer is proboably yes.

The MP-7 is well set up for controlling other synthisizers over MIDI and you can add ROM cards to increase the capablility of the internal synthisizer. You can not, however, sample into the MP-7.

Check out the xx-7 forum at
http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/xl7/

I had a mp-7 at one time. I really dont miss it much. I wasnt really feeling the sequencer either.The sounds were like generic hip hop crap(I can make better drumkits myself). I really felt trapped with the Mp-7 cause the only way you can get new sounds is to shell out $200-$300 for an expansion card. I cant work with out a sampler and you cant even import sounds onto the unit. Maybe if you dont sample and you get the expansion cards for it you might be o.k.?

Well, to each his own I guess. I agree, the MP7 without additional ROMs is pretty limited ... especially if you don't try to make your own sounds with itand think that the only way you can get more sounds is to buy more ROMs.

But add the "Protean Drums" and maybe some other ROMs and it kicks a$$ !!

By-the-way, you aren't supposed to feel the sequencer, you are supposed to learn to use it. ;) I personally like it because it doesn't force me into a particular 'groove' like the MPCs do. MPCs are damned fine machines, by-the-way ... ain't taking nothing away from 'em there.

The Command Stations are a lot more flexible and "deep" than a lot of stuff out there ... if you need something easier and less powerful, it's not the best way to go.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good advice. Also if you hit Emu's site and go to bargain basement then there are some cheap deals on roms.
The sequencer is fine on the command stations.

Back