Questiomable Ethics! Read!

Smidiology

Ok, I was browsing a few sites to try to get some information on the Ardvark Q10 and I went to a few different sites including a popular one known as samedaymusic.com

Wow, the Q10 scored a 9/10. I investigated by reading the reviews.

To my surprise, the reviews are for the most part EXTREMELY short, and CONSISTENT. Now, I like to think I have pretty good bull shi* detectors, and what my detectors were telling me is that I was reading a frikin marketing campaign. It seems the good people at Ardvark are advertising their product by giving false reviews and 10 out 10 ratings on every othe review.

I wonder how many other sites have been molested by Ardvark marketers.

This is by far the most questionable ethics topic I have seen in a while.

Heres an Example:

"Best decision I've ever made in 2002. Sounds great."
"Its not often I like a piece of gear this much. I literally record right to my computer and anything I plug into it (headphones, Mics, tape machine, speakers, keyboards) works and sounds beautiful. Honestly, the more I learned about and after talking with Aardvark (great guys) about how to get the most out of it, I like it even better."

Best decision I've ever made In 2002, sounds great??? Sounds like somone from ardvark wrote that one, especially since every category was rated a 10 out of 10.

Opinions?

Will

*edit* forgot the link!

http://www.samedaymusic.com/productreview--AARQ10

Last edited:
Happens all the time. There was a guy on fp not so long a go doing the exact same thing for MPCs

Dude, there were like 30 reviews on musiciansfriend.com on the MPC1000 before anyone had ever used one.

Don't EVER pay attention to the reviews of items on a site selling them. I don't even know why they have it on there.

You even need to take reviews on websites like here, Sonicstate, and harmony-central with a grain of salt becasue everyone has an agenda.

I trust magazine editorials mostly for reviews although a lot of times they don't know crap. Best place to review is from you fingertips.

Well, I never really noticed it before, but these were obviously false.

I'm just glad I was enlightened, because I really did not know, because that sort of thing is not in my nature.

: (

Pretty much any site open to review submissions has this happen. It disgusts me but it doesn't surprise me; I consider marketting to be a polite term for 'lying', which makes tactics like this a lot easier to understand.

Always be wary of any unqualified praise for anything; nothing in this world is perfect, there is nearly always some degree of misalignment between you and the interface to a product...and when there isn't, people tell you. Someone who praises an audio device without ever mentioning how it integrated into their workflow just sounds to me like someone who doesn't have one.

The best thing, of course, is to double-check here :)

It certainly could be somebody's idea of guerilla/street team marketing, but it could be a "true believer," too. You know the type, a cult-of-one devoted to whatever his current enthusiasm is. I didn't know there were so many until I came online. (And actually I always kind of thought I was one until I saw the truly tweaked people out there... I got nothin' on them.)

I was looking at user reviews on one of the sites and I saw a "user-review" flame war. Out of 11 reviews, these two goons accounted for ten, all of it tit-for-tat, yes-it-does-no-it-doesn't sorts of exchanges.

Also, I've even seen user-reviews where the reviewer admitted he didn't own the unit in question and hadn't used one -- he basically gave his thoughts on the feature set as he'd read about it and his general opinion of the manufacturer and a couple friends' experience... It was pretty amusing.

Wouldn't it be great if we lived in a world where no1 could lie. That'd be interesting.

Celltrip said:
Wouldn't it be great if we lived in a world where no1 could lie. That'd be interesting.

Or how about it just happens to one person. And he goes around and cannot lie. We'll get Jim Carrey to star in it and we'll call it Liar Liar. We'll be rich I tells ya.

JusDaFied said:

Or how about it just happens to one person. And he goes around and cannot lie. We'll get Jim Carrey to star in it and we'll call it Liar Liar. We'll be rich I tells ya.

biglaugh.gif
Wow that's a clever cut, gotta hand it to ya.

Back