protools mixer, do you need ADC?

+48

i have an mbox, and i wanted to record more than just two tracks, so i considered purchasing a mackie or behringer mixer, and i saw in another post that it works. so the question now is do i need digital to analog converters or anything like that? and another question does any one know of a mixer has at least 8 decent preamps for under $1000?

You'll still only be able to record 2 tracks, just more sources mixed into them.

USB, in general, is unreliable for more than "Two-tracks-in, two-tracks-out", especially with usable latency.

You will find some interfaces that claim to offer more (M-Audio Quattro, for instance) but, by and large, their performance is often suspect.

USB just wasn't designed for sustained data transfer. You can pipe 2 inputs and 2 (monitor) outputs through it if you use 44.1kHz sampling rate. But beware of anything claiming to offer more.

-Hoax

so what do you suggest i do? get the mixer and then buy some preamp that offers eight inputs and route that to my protools le software and ditch the mbox?

If you still want to use protools, you will have to buy the 002, which will allow you to hook up 8 analogue sources, and 8 channels of ADAT, and stereo S/PDIF aswel I think.

With this, you could buy something like the DigiMAX LT, which will give you 8 preamps, and ADAT out. Or something similar would be the behringer ADA8000.....same deal but cheaper.

MBox will only be able to record 2 tracks at any one time. 002, will be about 18.....as long as you have enough preamps, with the right connectivity etc

Do you need to record more than 2 things at a time?

Good luck!

well i'm a little new at this so bare with me...i want to record a drum set...6-8 inputs, you're saying i can get the 002, and then get a mackie board (per se) and i would be able to record drums through pro tools and mix around 24 channels using the mackie?

You wont really be using the mackie to mix, only for it's mic preamps.....

The 002 has four mic pre's.....and then another 4 analogue inputs for which you will need to hook up your own mic preamps.

Basically, you will be mixing within protools.....The mackie is just there to route your drum mics to the 002, or for monitoring outboard synths etc, and maybe for inserting compressors or reverbs...You may not even need a mixer. If you just bought the 002 and then one of those behringer 8 channel preamp thingy's hooked up via ADAT

hope that clears things up.....

Good Luck!

thanks for your help....i was studying up on this, and i figuered that with the 002, i'll just get a behringer preamp like you said, and a bus24 control surface...the only reason i wanted the mackie is cause i didnt want to use the protools plugins like the eq for and example and have to use the mouse...but then i learned that the mackie wouldnt be able to control protools with its knobs....so i guess i'm stuck with the mouse after all, but at least i got my 8 inputs...

Back