protools mac

A

astral2222

my set up

if anyone needs any info in this area i can help..
here is my home studio set up """"""::::::
mic = neumann m -149
board = yamaha 02r / mackie 2408 / pro control expanded.
mix = protools mix plus with 3 farmcards
interface = 2 digidesign 888 i/o / 2 882 .
mac g4 1.2 gigs ram 500mhz.2 flat panel displays.
keys= roland jp8000 / korg trition / yamaha an1x / alesis andromeda / virus kb / waldorf q / microwave xtk.
samplers= mpc3000 / 2 emu e4xt /
modules= emu xtreme lead / mo phatt / planet phatt / orbit.
rack equipment= manley vari mu compression / focusrite r3 /
mic pre = manley vox box / 2 mono manley pre's
rack eq = manley massive passive
monitors = krk expose 8
analog tracks = 4 alesis adats xt.
sequencers= protools /// logicaudio platinum 4.7.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike Lobo said:
nice setup
I'm going to agree with you on this one, Mike :).

As Mike said, nice setup. Hey, what's it like living in Portugal? back when i was a surfy and used to associate with others of similar species, i would occasionally be regaled with fine stories of big 8foot gaping barrels at Mundaca, things you just rode till the end or they got you, whichever way it panned out...sounds like a wyld place, i think it is in or near Portugal?

my big list of fun machines...evolving into serious project application appliances

Okay, seeing this is a Pro Tools on Mac thread...here goes ...

Digi001 on a Mac 500mhz, 18gig drive, 256meg ram, a 17 inch monitor, CD Burner.

Yamaha A3000 sampler with 8 outs and digital and spdif in/outs (via the expansion board), 8 gig SCSI drive, 128meg of ram. The other big workhorse is the NordLead2 Synth.

Sony CD player with digital out.

600mhz Asus P3 with 128 meg ram 10gig hard drive, and pc-cam. little Midiman interface, basic soundcard. But- saves stuff onto floppy to go directly into A3000.
Extra monitor.

1402 VLZ Mackie desk. love this thing.

Phantom powered Rode NT-3 condenser Mic. and an AKG-copy of a shure58.

Blond Strat, fretless bass, '56 Maton semiacoustic. Wahwah, Boss FX stompboxes - chorus, phaser, Octave, T-Wah, Overdrive.

Digitech Talker. Korg Kaoss Pad.

Alesis 3630 compressor.

QY-70 portable sequencer.

Gemini CD-J +-16%
Tchnics 3200
Vestax MixerRemixer05

Software henchmen. ;: Pro Tools - with a lot of plugins to make functionality/fun.
Cubase - to run the Waldorf PPG softsynth.
Vibra 9000 standalone softsynth.
Cooledit Pro, on the PC.
Aestesis on the laptop also, to VJ with, beat matching from waveform, feeding live pc-cam video footage and mixing it live into distorting animations, real time scratching of avi's and swf's. and eye:core soon to come.

Sennheiser HD570 - ear goggles.

Last edited:
I CLAN

Hi there I-Clan, even though I use PC in my compositions, I find your setup very nice for music creativity. Well Portugal, is a small country in Europe, the leftmost country in Europe, surrounded by sea and nice surf and wind surf spots. Depending on the conditions its sure to say we have wonderful conditions for some droping barrels. Its wonderful country filled with laid back people (this is not a quality). Party wise, 10 stars.

Astral,

What do you think of the Andromeda? Is it a bit buggy still? I'd love to get one but I hear bad things. Not about the sound of course but about it's midi implementation.

thanks,

fitz

Re: I CLAN

Mike Lobo said:
Well Portugal, is a small country in Europe, the leftmost country in Europe, surrounded by sea and nice surf ... Its wonderful country filled with laid back people (this is not a quality). Party wise, 10 stars.

Yeah, i like PC's too. i use an Asus laptop, i really love it. Top machine. Clean, lean, and makes me beam :D
Man, if i get this VJ/DJ/live electronic thing together, i'll drop over to Europe within a couple of years, and do a few events in Portugal i reckon! Haha, dream dream, but u never know eh, things can happen at the right time.
How cool would it be to go out and record some awesome surf footage, and then project it live that night at a dance party!

Aight cheers.

Hey astral or fitz, what is an Andromeda anyhow? has it got sick sounds?

The Alesis Andromeda is a "real analogue" synth. 16 voices 16 parts. Oodles of knobs. And a hefty price tag ($3000)

disgusting sounds come out of this thing.

dis·gust·ing (ds-gstng)
adj.

So completely awesome you will vomit

the andromeda is kinda cool dont think i am going to keep it for 2 reasons.
1. i dont like having to program out my as# to get the patches i want(factory sux always).I program enough synthz as is and i dont think this one is worth my time-read 2
2.real analog is awsome but i am into futureistic type sounds(wich anaolog will do ), i see my self sitting for weeks programming and i dont want to wast time...
most of the sounds (factory presets)are technoish or / the keyboard is geared to tech people....all the sounds i am able to get right now sound like an old jupiter/moog/ob 12 and i got those .........
and dont someone say it is user error / i know how to program synths....
I JUST DONT LIKE IT....

it is still buggy even with new os and there will be more to come after alesis gets out of chapter 11 shi@
but over all every hting works fine (dont like to tune the thing every time i power on ether)
the andromeda is a great synth :) but i like my q/microwave /virus / virtuals better call me stupid.
if any one wants some mp3s of this let me know i will send them ........

ohh yea midi is not there for some functions yet ,but there will be os upgrades to fix that..... :)

i do have a pc also it is =
pentium 3 550mhz
256 ram
1 20 gig
1 40 gig
2 scsi 30 gig external
1 expansion chase
lalalal
acid pro
reason
logic 4.7
tons of plugz dx and vst
soundforge 5.0
wavelab 3.0
and some other goodies

ohh yae just got an yamaha an1x talk about synths this one is a power house for dnb type stuff or anything as a mater of...
i pated 450 $$ for it and it is worth every penny :)

just got a nord 3 order i will post a report on it because i had a 2 for the longest ,i see the 2 up in another post also...... hope it goes well....
it will be here this week.....

The an1x is one of my fave synths. Make sure you check out the random patch generator. I think you can download it from the yahoo an1x group page. If not I can email it to you. Basically you give it two patches and it generates 128 new patches based on random settings and morphing between the two original patches. It comes up with some very useful stuff including sequences!

anyhoo

peace,

fitz

yea i got it and ever patch i could find and pc - mac editor . i always over looked it because it was yamaha but i played one and found out what i could do with it ( damn) cool sounds for yamaha synth.

astral2222 said:
just got a nord 3 order i will post a report on it because i had a 2 for the longest ,i see the 2 up in another post also...... hope it goes well....
it will be here this week.....

i hear the 3's are choice.
the 2 has been good to me. And just yesterday, i got a sound or two that made me smile. it still gets the goods. only occasionally do i really think about what i do with it, the rest is either intuitive or trial and error. or really obvios :D
it sounds good when it gets put thru effects a bit. the sound is initially so raw and untamed and strong that it can retain vibrancy even after going thru a couple of boards.
I just realised the other day that i could change the global setting of the unison, to change how out of tune the note(s) of a unison setting will sound. i.e. making subtler or more saturated choruses ... cool ...

astral2222: Nice list of gear, but I want to hear what your doing with it!

Post a link.:monkey:

Back