Protools Or Cubase

SUNGOD

I AM BUILDING MY FIRST STUDIO SETUP, WHATS BETTER, PRO TOOLS OR CUBASE? I AM MORE FAMILIAR WITH MICROSOFT THAN APPLE BUT CAN ADAPT. ALSO FROM MY UNDERSTANDING THERE ARE ALOT OF PRICES FOR ALOT OF DIFFERENT VARIATIONS OF THESE PROGRAMS, WHICH "MODEL," FOR LACK OF A BETTER WORD WILL BE SUFFICIENT ENOUGH TO GIVE ME FREE REIGN CREATIVELY WITHOUT BREAKING MY POCKETS?

ALL INFORMATIVE COMMENTS WELCOME AND APPRECIATED

PEACE

Welcome to FP :hello:

what kind of music do you want to make?
do you plan on recording vocals or instruments, if so then what?
how much money do you have to spend on this?
what equipment do you already own?
what other equipment do you plan to buy?
why have you singled out just Cubase & Pro Tools?
do you plan on using synths or softsynths?
do you have a preference for software or hardware?
do you plan to play live or is this all to remain in a studio?

hmmm that'll do to be gettin on with.

give us some details & we should be able to help you

:)

MM

ps pleaes turn off the CAPS LOCK.

Really no easy question. Do you have any hardware, even a soundcard? Protools comes with its own hardware, but it's expensive. Mbox would be quite a cheap choise, but really limited. Dígi001 and Digi002 are better packages, but for a first studio, I think a bit too much. I'd go for Cubase SL and some good soundcard, maybe M-audio or something. If you're doing much midistuff, and using softsynths, then cubase really beats PT. Protools is great in bigger recording studios, and I like it for audio recording & editing. But the midi-side in it really sucks.

Your question is not very informative, nothing about other gear you're getting and nothing about your music style. But I'd choose Cubase over PT anytime for home studio enviroment. Personally I use Cubase SX home and Protools HD system in a bigger studio, and both suit very well to those situations.

Also check out some cheaper and easier-to-use programs like Fruityloops and Reason, those are fine for beats and techno. If you need audio, check out eg. Acid and CoolEdit. Even Cubase might be too much for you... :)

Just don't buy into the "Pro Tools" is industry standard ****. The only reason that so many people use Pro Tools is the hardware, not the software. And I'm not talking about Mboxes, Digi 001's or 002's. I'm talking about the "HD" stuff. And that would be a lot of money for a beginer studio to start out on. Unless you really know what your doing and have the clientel to support it. If your already using a pc and don't wanna go for a Mac, then just try out the demos of the stuff that's out there. Like Cubase, Sonar, Abelton Live, ect. Just don't buy something because people tell you it's industry standard. Cause to be real about it, your not even in the industry, so **** a standard. Worry about that **** when you've perfected your craft and get a break. So, my advice would be to try out the demos first. Also, you might want to try to find a store that already has the stuff set up on different computers, and see if they'll show you some things about each one.

somebody's having a bad xmas...Buy what ever you want to learn research it first find what's gonna make you happy personally i us e protools and i learned on my own and buy watching others ,but that;s just me.:D

Welcome to FP - SUNGOD !! :hello:

Learn & contribute & have fun here - this is a nice place. :cheers:

btw: and please turn off your caps lock - thanks !

Pro Tools rules the school fool, don't drool because you don't have the cool.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks

Eh, first off, thank yall for replying. should yall come back to check up on me, i want yall to know that i'm in the army, currently in iraq, so i have limited time on the internet, it may take a while for me to respond. I want to try to answer yalls questions as best i can. I work mainly (especially out here) on my computer using fruity loops 3.56. i have a keyboard back home. I have 2000 dollars set aside for computer based applications/hardware as of right now. I will save and devote as much as i need to towards the applications i need to do my thing. I am basically ignorant to what protools and cubase is all about. i've read magazine articles, thats as far my knowledge on that goes. I'm told that these programs are good for what i'm tryin to do. I want to mainly stick to computer based sequencers and softsynths but i also want to integrate a keyboard, beat machine, and trackboard into the setup. I will have 12-15G's devoted to the whole studio effort, so with this info can yall give me advise on programs that are best for what i'm doing. By the way i dont really have one style of music that i'm stuck on, my music is sort of a combo of hip hop and new age. I see that some of yall are suggesting that i dont need either of these programs, thanks for that input, so what info can you give me on the programs that you suggest. Hopefully yall check back and hopefully i've given yall some better insight on my dillema. Thanks for tha help. Peace

if what you want is computer based and softsynths, then give Reason a look. I've learned on it, and Berklee College of Music teaches on it b/c it helps students learn signal flow / studio set up /etc. etc....it's MIDI based production, so you can hook up a keyboard or something to it....it CAN'T record though, so you'll need to get something in addition to it. Cubase can record though (right guys?) and is used by a lot of people for making hiphop/newage =P

ps. be safe over there

Last edited by a moderator:
Back