Professional Recording studio construction

teshan

Do any of you have a professional recording studio outside of your home that you got constructed?

If so, how much did it cost you and how long did it take to build?

I am looking to do this in the near future.

The last place I designed that was actually built had a blueprinting & construction price tag of around $175,000. Cheap, yes. But it was in an existing space with a completely open floor-plan. So there wasn't any worries about fitting around structure. That was around 10 years ago... I'd imagine the same place would be around $225-250,000 currently.

It was "semi" pro for lack of a better term. There were a LOT of corners cut to fit within budget. Too many corners from the original design. But it worked out pretty well. "No frills" though... A lot of bare drywall (I wanted cedar) and whatever paint was on sale and sprayable. The cheapest possible flooring, the cheapest possible lighting (lighting is freaking important unless you want to place to look like a dungeon). Had a lot of potential if they could've stuck with the $250,000 budget from the start. But even that's cheap for a decent place.

Last edited by a moderator:
John Sayers is in Australia. Does he do work in the US

MASSIVE Mastering said:
The last place I designed that was actually built had a blueprinting & construction price tag of around $175,000. Cheap, yes. But it was in an existing space with a completely open floor-plan. So there wasn't any worries about fitting around structure. That was around 10 years ago... I'd imagine the same place would be around $225-250,000 currently.

It was "semi" pro for lack of a better term. There were a LOT of corners cut to fit within budget. Too many corners from the original design. But it worked out pretty well. "No frills" though... A lot of bare drywall (I wanted cedar) and whatever paint was on sale and sprayable. The cheapest possible flooring, the cheapest possible lighting (lighting is freaking important unless you want to place to look like a dungeon). Had a lot of potential if they could've stuck with the $250,000 budget from the start. But even that's cheap for a decent place.

who did u hire to do the construction. 225 is alot, i was tryna stay in the 100,000 range. dont want anything too drastic. do u have pics?

Last edited:
I don't even remember the name of the foreman. I know he came in *WAY* under a few other places. And he was pretty well connected with the owner of the facility.

teshan said:
John Sayers is in Australia. Does he do work in the US

He doesn't do the actual construction work, he consults on the space layout and acoustical treatment. If you go and check out his message board there are a lot of studios under construction. If you have a space where you are going to build the studio you usually post a new thread (there are specs on his site of what they want posted) usually you include the dimensions of the space, what you want to do with the room (only a control room, a control room and a live room, etc) where you are located and your budget. The people on the board will work with you on the overall design and the mathematics of the acoustics. Its a great board to check out even if you arent building a studio now per say.

this gearslutz-tread is also good info, with photo's of the construction of the Creation Studio in Orange County, California (USA). If you search on that board, you also can find a lot of good info.

Last edited:
Back