presonus pre vs. apogee mini-me pre

C

camer

I'm on a bit of a budget, but I need to do decent-sounding field recording. I've been using a presonus MP20 preamp running into an old tascam DA-20 dat machine. I'd like to sort of join the 21st century and start recording into my laptop. I'm looking into the apogee mini-me, which seems like a good solution. Obviously, the conversion is going to blow away my DA-20. But are the preamps going to be as good as my presonus? And, if not, can anyone suggest a high quality stand-alone AD converter that can talk to my laptop?

I'd say Apogee too, but I don't know if that one would be affordable as you say that you're "on a bit of a budget".

Apogee has super high quality gear, but their prices are super high as well...

Thanks. Yes, I've already determined that I can in fact afford the apogee, and I know it's going to have great conversion. I'm just curious to know specfically what people think of the apogee's pre-amps, esp. in comparison to the pre-sonus

get the MiniMe but keep the MP20.

with MiniMe you get MUCH better converters than your DAT has but the pre-amp is good whereas the MP20 is better.

so you will have the choice of either hooking up the MP20 to the MiniMe if you want to or only use the MiniMe on it own. this is some great gear to be collecting.

after this, your next step would be to get a digital interface for the computer that doesn't require you to use the USB on the MiniMe. but that's not urgent.

Back