Please help with recording etc!!!!!!!! Hardware

R

Rob_10304

ive been using a computer to try and put beats together now for about a year. and im getting f*cked off with software (well some of it).

what i want is a more hands on approach to producing hip-hop. im wondering, (and im getting suggested Korgs and Akais, Mpcs left right and centre), its hard to explain. but what i want to do is essentialy sample stuff from wavs. mp3s, MIDI etc on the computer then lay that down over a drum beat on a piece of hardware, but i want to be able to use EQ, vol and Pan etc in real time on the hardware while im recording.

so for example, if you imagine; say ive got a drum beat, a bass line and a piano loop all previously sampled, then transfered onto a piece of hardware, in the form of individual tracks, so ; Track 1 - drums, Track 2-Bass, Track 3 - piano loop. what i want to be able to do is then play them all as tracks at the same time (so they merge together as a piece of audio, to the human ear) but i still have individual, physcal (twsting tuners, knobs etc) control over each track with faders, EQ and volume while the tracks are playing and recording. so i might think, i want to cut the bass for a few bars and let just the drums and the piano play, then bring the bass back in while im still recording, and in realtime and on the hardware!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! all on one piece of equipment!

sorry this is alot, but im really stuck and confused

please help!!

cheers Wu

Whut up. I know you said you are getting suggested MPCs etc a lot, but for your needs, I say you get one. What the MPC will enable you to do is sample different things (drums, piano etc) and assign each one to a track on the MPC. With the 2000XL, you can do the trackmuting you are talking about. This will, say, mute the piano for a few bars, then bring it back in. But if you want to EQ the separate tracks, you will need a mixing console. These range from £200-£200000. Seriously, they is such a range it is hard for me to reccomend one right now. Then you will probably need something to record the whole thing on. Now I know I am not one to reccomend people buying really expensive pieces of equipment straight away, I always say read books and soak stuff like a sponge until you personally know what you need, I am saying now that I reccomend you get an MPC2000XL and a small multitrack like the ones on this page: http://www.zzounds.com/a--2676837/cat--Cassette-Multitracks--2871 then you can record everything to cassette. And make sure the MPC has the 8 outs. But don't buy anything for a few weeks though.

I'm not sure if I quite understand what you're saying, but......

Sounds like you are looking to have physical control over your sound during mixdown. What you need if you'd like to do that (assuming you're recording with a computer) is a multitrack sound card that has at least 4 inputs and outputs (depending on how many tracks you want to mix and have control over). Then what you do is set up a loop so your input goes into the computer and is then routed into an output that feeds an individual input on a mixer. So, during mixdown you take your direct out on your mixer and record that into your computer. Basically your computer becomes a patchbay and your mixer becomes a control surface. This is a wicked method of mixing, I just started it like a week ago.

I would recommend the Delta 1010LT soundcard that costs 280 dollars. If you have more than that to spend, get the full Delta 1010. That's like 600 i think.

Have fun!

oh, sorry......it appears you are recording with an analog recorder or ADAT machine or something that's not a computer. I know nothing about recording if its not routed through a computer. ignore the above post!

sorry

no, no

your advice is right

i am recording with a comp

a good one

its just i want physical control over EQ, pan etc with REAL knobs, sliders, faders etc, as opposed to clicking on things with my mouse on my computer screen!

you get me???

cheers very much

Back