Please help me beef up my saws synths

Xabiton

Cupcake God
Im trying to recreate saws similar to the ones in Snap Yo Fingers and Yeah by Lil Jon. I can come close but I cant get the same body in those sounds that he has. Any suggestions. I am using the Subtractor in Reason.

I am trying to create a saw synth with a brass type of body to it if that makes sense

Last edited:
try another instance of Subtractor - layer those 2 oscillators on top of the ones you've got. Detune until you get the slow phasing sound of two oscillators beating- fast phasing and it's too detuned probably. Add a bit of reverb. Don't forget portamento, for the one note glide things.

Filter should be open, maybe a touch of resonance. Too much will take away from the low end (which may be necessary, but i'd leave that to post tracking).

Ive been looking for the same thing with the subtractor. Layering the units seems to be the best option so far and only recently linking the unison and screem with a low tape setting for a warmer sound when detuneing.

i have not tried using the subtraktor for that but I do use the Maelstrom I usually use a square wave and a string and just set the square wave 2octaves below the string and turn the square down low. and add a unison and some reverb.

I don;t use Reason, so I don't know how to tell you to do it in there. But there's samples floating around the net (Nord Lead) that will give you that sound.

Also, a Triton with a MOSS board will give you that sound too.

Xabiton said:
Im trying to recreate saws similar to the ones in Snap Yo Fingers and Yeah by Lil Jon. I can come close but I cant get the same body in those sounds that he has. Any suggestions. I am using the Subtractor in Reason.

I am trying to create a saw synth with a brass type of body to it if that makes sense

You have the combinator?? If so, throw a line mixer (or a regular mixer) in the combinator, along with the subtractor (use the Nush patch). Use the audio merger/splitter to split that signal into about 3.

Add some brass to that line mixer too. Add maybe something out of the Malstrom, and alter the pitch on one of the oscilators.

But the real key is this...On the main mixer, put these FX Modules in...

Reverb
Unison (or Choruser/Flanger)
DELAY

Set the delay really short (like 1 or 2) and turn the feedback up maybe 1/4 of the way.

Mix all those, and you'll have a great sounding synth.

SaltyDawg said:
I don;t use Reason, so I don't know how to tell you to do it in there. But there's samples floating around the net (Nord Lead) that will give you that sound.

haha, thats one way.. use samples from the synth that lil jon uses.
Less control so im not sure if that really answers the question.

Deff agree on useing the combinator and a mixer to get what ur after by layering. Always layer :P

SaltyDawg said:

that would be the easy way out but Id like to see how its programmed as well

Back