patchbays & balanced cables

Bongo Fiend

I've got a load of balanced 1/4" cables - i.e. normal "stereo" cables, not patch cables with the smaller tips. Most of my gear uses unbalanced mono inputs/outputs, and I want to buy a fairly cheap patchbay. I've been reading up on unbalanced / balanced connections, and I think I understand!! :)

Now for my questions:

1. Is it okay to use the balanced cables to connect unbalanced mono devices? (Presumably, the additional wire in the cable simply wouldn't be used.)

2. Am I correct in thinking that the only thing you shouldn't do, is connect an unbalanced output to a balanced input? (Because the signal would be cancelled out?)

3. Does it matter whether I buy a balanced or unbalanced patchbay? (Given that I'm only going to be using it to connect unbalanced devices, but I'd like to be able to use my balanced leads.)

4. Presumably a balanced patchbay doesn't care whether the signal is a balanced mono signal, an unbalanced stereo signal, or an unbalanced mono signal (with no sound on the additional wire)?

two more questions

Thanks for that, Carnage.:) I have 4 further questions...

5. (Given your answer to question 4) Is it true, therefore, to say that a balanced patchbay is actually usable as both unbalanced and balanced?

6. If so, when companies advertise their patchbays as being both balanced/unbalanced, is that the same as saying they are balanced? (And vice versa.)

7. (Following on from that...) Is there any reason, other than presumably the cheaper price, to buy an unbalanced patchbay? (Given that a balanced patchbay is fully usable as an unbalanced patchbay.)

8. Why does anybody bother making unbalanced patchbays? To save a few pennies on the extra connections? After all a balanced patchbay doesn't actually do any noise-filtering business itself (?)

Is it OK to mix balanced and unbalanced connections?

Depending on the abilities of the equipment being connected, mixing balanced and unbalanced signals on the same jackfield shouldn't cause any more problems than connecting the equipment together directly. In fact there are some advantages to wiring everything as if it was balanced, as this can help reduce ground-loop problems. However, never plug an unbalanced (tip-sleeve) plug into a balanced microphone socket if phantom power is present (see the previous question).

A related issue is to avoid mixing stereo and balanced connections on the same jackfield, even though the two formats employ the same plugs and sockets. It can often be very convenient to patch (unbalanced) stereo signals, such as headphone cue feeds, with a single cord, but you will inevitably need a 'stereo-to-dual-mono' bodge lead at some stage and there are likely to be all manner of confusions along the way. A balanced signal will appear as out-of-phase mono to a stereo destination, and a stereo source as a very thin and reverberant signal to a balanced input! Far better to run everything on the jackfield as (pseudo) balanced mono, and wire the studio headphone points to combine the two relevant signals onto a stereo jack as necessary. It takes more patch cords and fractionally longer to plug, but avoids any confusion, has better reliability, and is much more flexible.

Carnage, cheers for all your help on this. :) I get what you are saying. However, please could you (or somebody else) answer question 7 for me?

7. Is there any reason, other than presumably the cheaper price, to buy an unbalanced patchbay?

Back