Owens Corning 703 Material

Hey guys I was thinking about building my own panels to treat my low end bass in my 11' x 12' room. I know I will need alot of panels so I have done some research on the Owens Corning 703 material. Is it a great material to treat acoustics? Does anyone use this and if so do I basically need to make it a total of 4'' thick to achieve a decent low end absorption? If I was to order just the material in 1'' panels and glue them together (with some 3M Glue) and just slip some fabric over them, would that do it justice?

If anyone has experience with this room treatment please feel free to reply.........thanks

Last edited:
1" isn't going to do you much good. 2" atleast although 4" would be better. Owens Corning 703 is a good material to use, or you could use mineral wool. Either way you need them to be thick.

I just built some... Mos people use 703 because its rigid and go with at least 4". Thinner panels act as broadband absorbers but it need to be thicker for the bass. You CAN take thinner panels and combine them for thickness

Caponegville said:
Cool I think that will work, I will do all 4" traps. What kind of material is to be placed around it? I saw some on this one site (http://readyacoustics.com/index.php?go=products.proddetails&prod=RT424B) which came in Readybags which is a kit to buy if you already have the material. They go for 30$ a bag which seems a little high considering my budget. I was hoping to find something at the local fabric store to act as an alternative. Any suggestions?
It would be cheaper to go buy some burlap and use that to cover your panels.

Owens Corning 703

go with burlap or muslin - basically you want a material with a loose weave so it doesn't reflect high frequencies. burlap, while less aesthetically pleasing, is probably your best option for acoustic transparency. muslin looks nicer but you'll be sacrificing high frequency absorption.

[EDITED BY ADMIN: NO BUSINESS ADS IN FORUMS PLEASE]

You don't want to glue them together. The glue will become solid and reflect sound.

The cheapest way I've heard of to make these is to hold the panels together with corner bead - that plastic thing that they put in the corners when they drywall. It's really light, really cheap and will keep it's shape when you wrap it in burlap.

cool, thanks everyone for the input i will be looking into more options and in the next few months i will post up pics when the project is complete and give a review!!!!

Caponegville said:
cool, thanks everyone for the input i will be looking into more options and in the next few months i will post up pics when the project is complete and give a review!!!!

Hey brother,

Don't forget my FREE Bass Traps tutorial if you don't want to use Ready Bags. The tutorial is free, and you can make really good panels very inexpensively with materials from any hardware store.

Check it out:http ://youtube.com/watch?v=iyYUpkpL0gw

Or just go to YOUTUBE and search for "Bass Trap". It's at the top of the heap

Cheers,

Joel DuBay
ReadyAcoustics.com
DIY Acoustics Treatment Guru's!

Back