Opening a software studio, need some advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

club_fusion_

I got a great computer and so far I have Reason 1.0 Fruityloops 3.3 and I'm planning to get Orion. I also have traktor DJ so that can get me some mixing effects. The problem is how can I connect Reason Fruityloops and Orion to work together? Also what more programs do I need...I have loads of money to spend so it won't be a problem. Please help me out!

Try popeller heads re Wire...... It might be able to do the trick that your looking for... :D

club_fusion_ said:
I got a great computer and so far I have Reason 1.0 Fruityloops 3.3 and I'm planning to get Orion. I also have traktor DJ so that can get me some mixing effects. The problem is how can I connect Reason Fruityloops and Orion to work together? Also what more programs do I need...I have loads of money to spend so it won't be a problem. Please help me out!

I wouldn't recommend using all of those programs together because they pretty much do the same thing. Definately do not get orion.
Since you already have reason and fruity, you can take the output from reason and record it as a wav file to use in fruity, or vice versa. Just load it into a sampler channel (fruity) or sampler module (reason).
What I would recommed are VSTs... you can use them within fruity (but not directly from reason). Or, you can get cubase and plug reason into it via rewire. Then, you can use your VST's from within cubase, and record whatever you like from fruity into wave to use with reason.
There's lots of different options. Answering your question is easier if you answer this one... How much is "loads of money"?

Well answering your question I have about $3k if I need to spend. And also please help me out more, im a newbie!

club_fusion_ said:
Well answering your question I have about $3k if I need to spend. And also please help me out more, im a newbie!

If I help you spend 3k, will you let me come to your house and help you use your equipment? :)

Ok, you have reason and fruity. I'd say get Cubase VST... I think it would come out to $350 CDN with a student discount.

There are some really good VST's... check out www.native-instruments.com. You can get the demos of their products and use them within fruity. Reaktor is my favorite, but its also the most complicated.

Do you want to stick to software? There are also good hardware synths out there too. Long & Macquade on Steeles has the Access Virus Rack for $1500.

You'll also need a good soundcard. I don't know too much in this area.

Also, a midi keyboard is essential. It doesn't matter what you get. If you don't already play the piano you wont mind a 5 dollar midi keyboard with stiff keys. All it needs is midi in and out on the back.

If you need any more help, just ask.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I got Reaktor V2.3, a friend burnt it for me. It's looks complicated as hell and how do you use it? Also how can I use this to record music :eek: . I am gonna get a Cubase also ( burnt ). I found out some dude at my school has these programs. For MIDI keyboard I don't want one, first I wanna get the hang of the programs and also I got MouseKeyboard. Now what to do next??

My first suggestion is to decide exactly what you want to accomplish. Without goals its hard to make decisions.

You have 3 programs already that do the same thing. Add cubase and you'll have 4. And by all means GET A KEYBOARD. Even if it is just a midi controller like a Roland pc-100 or something. All these programs are best used when you can input notes in a musical fashion (ie; get a keyboard).

You planning on making Trance? Hip Hop? Rock?

He plans on making commercial music.

Shouldn't be too hard

what these guys forgot to mention is good sample cd's. Its almost essintial to have some good sample cd's. I got like 10 of them, over 20,000 samples. If you dont want to create everything from scratch, then you might want some drum loops and bass lines. Thos seem to be the hot stuff in the industry now. I dont personaly use a midi keyboard cause i got plenty of soft synths. Even though some synts can do much btter than softs. If your plannen on doing any vocal recording your gonna needa spend some cheese. if ya got 4 grand, i agree, get yourself some hardware man. You can get software for free off the net, or from your boys. Get a mpc-2000, about $1000, get some studio monitors, i hurd the KRK V88 are really good, but not to sure the price, you might wanna get yourself a power amp to, unless you got something you can use. Get a mixer, a macki would be best.... but.. high doller. If you do decide to get a keyboard and you want something super fukcing nice i would recomend the novation super noca 2 synth with the rack, but retail price on botch can be well over 5000, the synth alone is about 3000, but i think in samash you can get it cheaper.

Anyways with 4000 you can get a tight setup with some good hardware for what your plannen on doing. Dont go and spend 4 grand on software im tellen you.

I don't want to use pre made Drum loops, I make my own drum loops. What I could use are some bass lines, just to look at them and see how basslines work, thats the next part of making music I have to look into. I don't want to make commercial music, I want to make mostly trance. If it gets popular good, if not oh well! Reason why I'm trying to make music is to dig deeper into music and maybe get some fans. I'm not gonna buy cubase or anything, I found some warez and I will be getting those. I just want to stick with software I don't really wanna spend a lot of money. Also, im 13 so there will be more time for me to improve. Well thats all! No one has still answered my reaktor question, someone please do answer it!

:cheers:

Just one thing guys - and I don't want to preach.....

But if you've got three grand to spend I don't really think it's very ethical using illegally copied versions of software. I know it's bl**dy easy to download a dodgy copy of cubase or whatever from the net but you're ripping the money away from the guys who actually code this stuff. It sounds as if you're just starting anyway so grab some demo's or buzzmachines instead. These are freeware so you're not helping to compound the warez issue.

Sorry to preach all (you probably won't pay attention anyway), but in the long run we're the ones who suffer because it becomes harder for programmers to update/ produce new software (i.e they're not getting paid the money they deserve for their work)

BTW I would seriously recommend Buzzmachines if you're starting. Not the best sound IMHO but the modular set-up teaches you how to think through the process of making tracks. www.buzzmachines.com. The best is that it's a free project and should be more than powerful enough for your needs. Alternatively spend that 3k on a decent piece of hardware, probably a groovebox like the MPC or RM1x.

Peace..........

club_fusion_ said:
I don't want to make commercial music, I want to make mostly trance. If it gets popular good, if not oh well!

So your musical views have changed? Or do you still like the radio?

reaktor is a synthisizer, a very very complex synth. It brings synths to a whole new level. For begginners, i dont recomend it at all. You dont seem to know to much, so i would sugest not to get into it just quite yet, but if you do then read the manual, in an out. Read tutorials on it. Look up other music people made with it and see how the preset aunsambles. Its a really tough program for newbs, but if your dedicated to learn it then go for it.

I shouldnt say its unbelievably hard cause you can make it make sounds and mess with it a little, but when you get deeper into it your gonna get really lost unless you know what your doing.

For trance music just stick with fruity, thats what its made for and thats what its best at. Trust me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back