Ok I'm ready to get serious, but need some opinions

G

GabeJessee

Ok so I'v been using cubase now for about 8 months, and I'm getting very comfortable with. I have no Hardwear, and this summer I will be in the position to buy some. I'm ready to start getting very serious about my music (hehe I am already) but i need some advice on what stuff i should buy. I allready have some stuff in mind but I need some feedback. My computer is a pent 4 512 RDram, 1.6 gh(I think) running Cubase 32 5.
What i have in mind is as follows:
Synth: Novation Supernove 2 - I havent really read anything bad about this synth, but I'm keeping my options open becasue I'v only heard MP3 clips of it.
Sampler: Right now I'm using Halion and Battery. I like them alot, so is there really any reason to buy a hardwear sampler?
Soundcard - Turtlebeach Santa Cruz - I know I need a new sound card but dont really know what to get. any suggestions would be nice.
Moniters - I need a set of these also. And I'm wondering if I need a Sub also to moniter the kick and bass?
Mixer - Sugestions?
Effects - Right now I'm mostly using Waves Gold package, and Ohmboyz Delay. Is their great need for outboard compression?
And anything else I may need but am not aware of. I'm going to be producing Tribal prog house/deep trance. I'm looking at about $3000 US
for a budget.(Maybe a little more maybe less)

Any feedback/suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Peace
Gabe

PS. the site looks great

GabeJessee said:
Synth: Novation Supernove 2 - I havent really read anything bad about this synth, but I'm keeping my options open becasue I'v only heard MP3 clips of it.
If your convinced by the mp3 clips then go ahead and get it, personnally I dont like what ive heard from it, sounds really nasal even though I REALLY did like the demo, maybe I just havent heard it being used properly, all ive heard is repetitive arpeggios so they soon get annoying.

Sampler: Right now I'm using Halion and Battery. I like them alot, so is there really any reason to buy a hardwear sampler?
Halion will wipe the floor with most hardware samplers, Halions spec is of proffessional standard and in my opinion one of the best samplers ever made. Gigasampler is also really good but is not a VST.

Soundcard - Turtlebeach Santa Cruz - I know I need a new sound card but dont really know what to get. any suggestions would be nice.
A delta card may be overkill for your situation, im not to sure what to suggest, if your really serious and want it to last for a while rather than buying a semi-good one first then buying the big one, you could go straight for the big one :) For the semi-good, maybe an Audigy, for the really good, a Delta card.

Moniters - I need a set of these also. And I'm wondering if I need a Sub also to moniter the kick and bass?
a sub? not sure what you mean. monitors, hmmmm theres a ton about, lets hope a monitor expert answers that one :D

Mixer - Sugestions?

Anything but behringer... only kidding behringers are great for cost effective solutions but stay away if your thinking PRO, do a search for spirit, however if you have no hardware you dont need a mixer
Effects - Right now I'm mostly using Waves Gold package, and Ohmboyz Delay. Is their great need for outboard compression?
You wont need any hardware compressors, theres plenty virtual compression units available. Im using pro-tools compression that comes with pro-tools free at the moment, its great.

And anything else I may need but am not aware of. I'm going to be producing Tribal prog house/deep trance. I'm looking at about $3000 US
for a budget.(Maybe a little more maybe less)
hmmm Tribal... maybe a cd or two with some tribal drum loops from various percussion instruments. A MIDI mother keyboard would be ideal if you havent got one.

Last edited:
Agree with all of the above except the soundcard. If you don't want to drop a large bundle on your soundcard right now then go with something semi-professional like the M-Audio Audiophile 2496 instead of Soundblaster products.
Also, you may want to look at the Virus instead of the Supernova. It is an absolute workhorse. It can do dirty, clean, hard, soft, strange, you name it! Great for anything from leads, basses, effects, pads, backgrounds...
And if you do need a mixer, Mackie makes outstanding boards as well as the ones mentioned.
And you won't need a subwoofer if you've got a good pair of monitors. Good monitors have a huge frequency range and won't colour the sound at all. Get a good pair of headphones as well.

Well i think I'v decided on the Delta 66 and the Omni Studio front end. Its about the price I was expecting to pay for a sound card, and it looks very promising. I definatly will checkout the Virus. When it comes down to it I'll probably go to a dealer and see if I can get a Demo on all their high end synths.

Thanks for all your help.

-Gabe

hey gabe, i have a few things to suggest

sound card- m audio nearly eveytime but im actually going for the motu 828 with 8 i/o it may be more suited for me as i want a versatile setup with good quality sound, but if you dont need as many i/o's then m audio rocks

mixer- mackie 1202v simple, but quality

monitors- tannoy reveals everybody i know who has bought monitors has gone with these after comparing with others, the best thing to do is take an album that you know inside out, and listen to the different monitors on offer, after doing this my self i loved the tannoys and i'll eventually be getting a pair my self.

synth- novation= lush sounds, virus= raw but they are easily capable of doing visa versa i just think that they are better at different things.

fx- you wanna make house and tribal stuff. get some good filters. i cant suggest any in particular.

thats a great choice of soundcard Gabe, nice one :)

sorry about recommending an audigy, ive read some bad things about it, just seems everybody who wants a cheap deal buys them. Then again I used to own an sblive 1024 and I got 8ms out of it, but I wasnt that serious on a pro audio card then, still it worked ok.

Welcome to the wonderfull world of pro audio! the way we like it :) hehehehe

good luck with the delta

fluxtah

Back