OH MPC or Cubase

cone41

I am hearing alot about cubase and MIDI. Is it better to sequence in Cubase or stick with the MPC for sequencing?

for me personally, I'd stick with the mpc. I've tried dequencing on a computer and I just plain like the mpc better.

I'm not sure myself. I'm having the same dilemma. I mean the Akai sequencer is brilliant but then after reading some sound advice in The BeatTips manual ( see FP front page for review) I decided I would use the Akai as my dedicated sampler and cubase to sequence. Well actually I decided that an hour ago while thinking about it. But then again I could use the Akai as a dedicated sequencer and get a dedicated sampler. i know the Akai MPC2000 does both but as I said some good advice I received from The BeatTips Manual was that it's better to use a dedicated sequencer and a seperate sampler.
Ok now i'm confused too. Akai as sequencer and get a dedicated sampler. Or Cubase as sequencer and Akai as sampler. WHAT 2 DO!!!! WHAT 2 DO!!!!!!!
Kid $olo

It all depends on you . . .

After I switched to sequencing on a computer about 4 years ago, I haven't looked back.

If you don't mind the workflow of sequencing on a computer, definitely do that because it will help your production quality, as far as mixing/mastering/efx, greatly.

Thanx for that Ryan. I think I'll give it a go and if I'm feeling it I'll stick with that setup ( Cubase to seqeunce and MPC2000 to sample).
I suppose it is down to the individual after all.
Peace
Kid $olo

DaOriginalBlade said:

mpc??? are you just givin it a shout out or your saying mpc to sequence and get adedicated sampler. please expand on your reply. its a bit vague. lol

lol, well a little bit of both, love my MPC. You can def use it for both purposes, at the current time I do. I hope to purchase a S950 soon tho when funds allow. But just becuz you sample on your MPC doesnt mean you have to sacrfice its sequencing capabilities and use Cubase.. unless you want to of course. Right now I sequence EVERYTHING on the MPC, audio and midi. But soon I'ma be dumpin my samples onto my PC and lacin them there, then just do my drums and midi on my MPC, if I cant get it right I'll just record audio live thru protools. You just gotta find what processes fit YOU .. your skill level and your preference. Experimentation is the best thing to do in the production world. have fun.

The MPC is a computer thats limited to the functions it is programmed to perform. It may be simpler to sequence on a MP, but the capabilities of Cubasis, Reason, Pro-tools, even a bootleg version of antiquated Pro Audio 9 are tremendous. Also, lot of new producers could benefit from the graphical presentation of MIDI info, and music notation too. IMHO, if you want to become a musician, use the computer. If you make beats, use the MP.

Karl_tone said:
The MPC is a computer thats limited to the functions it is programmed to perform. It may be simpler to sequence on a MP, but the capabilities of Cubasis, Reason, Pro-tools, even a bootleg version of antiquated Pro Audio 9 are tremendous. Also, lot of new producers could benefit from the graphical presentation of MIDI info, and music notation too. IMHO, if you want to become a musician, use the computer. If you make beats, use the MP.

If you wanna be a musician buy a guitar or whatever instrument, if you wanna make beats use both.....

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Karl_tone
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not sure what you mean here pal.
"if you want to become a musician, use the computer. If you make beats, use the MP. "

Are you saying all the great self taught producers / composers such as Quincy Jones, Barry White, Kayne West, Manny Fresh only learn about music theory by using a computer?

"Also, lot of new producers could benefit from the graphical presentation of MIDI info, and music notation too."

If there new to producing they probably aren't familar with music from a reading & writting stand point.
In this regards staring at music notation would be of no use anyway.

I know people who can make a beat in REASON and they are no more or less than a musician then someone with a MP and Keyboard.

Beleive what you may.

The level of one's musical knowledge is determine by the musician desire to study his art form, not the equipment he uses.

Kanye West uses the MP but produces R&B music which you definetly have to be a musician in order to do so.

Can you learn something about music looking at music being written / program on screen?

Possibly. Depending On The Individual

Is it the defintive standard or the only way one will become a "musician" in its truest form.

Of course not.

Last edited by a moderator:
The MPC is famous for one reason: workflow. It's easy as all heqq to sample shït, loop it, and get it into your track. Nice 'n fast. That's important for people who don't want to mess with an inferior interface and just get shït done (like myself).

The PC is famous for flexibility. You can build your own instrument, using custom samples from an old analog piece. Yiou can process your shiz through multiple effects that's take many hundreds of dollars to replicate in hardware. Maybe most importantly, you can see your arrangement: each note, every controller. That's important for people who think visually (like myself), as well as trained musicians who know what notes/scales/chords they're playing, and want to be able to edit and see those musical forms visually, as well as picturing them mentally. That's probably what Karl_tone meant.

In the end, it's about how you feel most comfortable and creative as you get your work done. Try all available methods, and use what inspires you. That's what's important in the end.

-Hoax

Well said Cruel. And btw 504...."Manny Fresh" dog?...lets just leave him out of any conversation about music.
I don't know how the other producers you mentioned learned about music, what I do know is that a music theory lesson won't teach you about "looping" on a loop based sequencer. I also think that more flexibility is better when it comes to production. You can do much more in a computer based sequencer than you can in a box. That said, some fresh shi* is being produced with the MP. Whatever floats your boat.

***Double posted biotch

Last edited by a moderator:
I do most of my sequencing originally on the MPC including having it trigger midi events from my various synths. Once it comes time to master, I send the individual audio tracks to cubase for mastering. The Audio tracks that are being triggered by the MPC sequencer but played by one of the synths go straight into Cubase. For example, if I have a piano part played by my ES but is being triggered by the MPC sequencer, I put the MAIN outs of the MO ES straight into my sound card as though I am playing it live into Cubase.

That way, I have the best of both worlds. I don't know why everyone is always talking about one or other. Personally I don't understnad how anyone could sequence in Cubase alone but hey, you just learned my workflow and there is plenty of other types so like I always say, "Get in where you fit in".

Back