NS-10 or NS-10m?

Steven Mc.

I've been looking for a pair of Yamaha NS-10s for my studio, but I keep comming up with NS-10m's. I know NS-10's have been discontinued... well, what are the difference's in quality Between the NS-10 and the NS-10m's? or the NS-10mm's? are they much different at all? are they the Same thing? help?

I think they are the same(i think every ns10 is an ns10m) or at least wery similar and (both?) have been discontinued.

i beleive all the ns-10 line has been cut sometihng to do with the wood for the woofer but have been replaced with the msp line

The difference between the NS-10 and NS10-m's are in the response of the woofers. Apart from that,they are both are the same.

I have a pair of NS-10m's... Seems to me somwhere they call them NS-10 and somewhere else they call them NS-10m. But they're in their box (marked with the "m") in the closet. Where they belong.

I've heard people say that the difference between NS-10's and NS-10m's is that NS-10m's don't have a grill screen -- but mine came with a grill screen. Most folks who want to look 'cool' taket he screen off -- but that makes the hyped and brittle high mid range just that much more hyped and brittle. Some people therefore tape a square of toilet paper so that it hangs down over the tweeter just to remove a tad of that high-mid bite.

But, as far as I'm concerned, an even bigger problem than the nasty high-presence boost is the gutless lack of bass endemic to the things.

I found it virtually impossible to get consistent mixes with my NS-10m's because under 85-90 Hz the bass drops away like walking off a cliff. Anything but old school rock or maybe country proves problematic. ANYthing with electronic bass or organ pedal tones is going to be subject to underreporting. The damn things have no usable bass to speak of.

I ended up buying a pair of Event 20/20bas which have easily and octave an a half more bass (near flat to around 37 Hz. And Event has less powerful speakers that still have good bass -- the 20/20s are biamped at 200 watts per speaker probalby well over twice what most of us ever need.)

Now, you could add a subwoofer to a pair of NS-10m's and be a little less clueless about what was going on in the basement -- but if you're starting from scratch -- why not just get decent sounding speakers in the first place.

[And finally, yes, I'm aware that there are a number of highly paid producers who swear by NS10m's. Which puzzles the hell out of me. But you have to remember two things: these guys work in studios that typically have $20-$40K worth of folded horns or other high end, wide range, high power speakers as part of their basic control room gear and these guys have a follow-on crew of mastering engineers who will go in after the fact and remove all the subsonic garbage that mixing on NS-10m'z won't otherwise reveal.]

Last edited:
theblue1 said:
The damn things have no usable bass to speak of.

That is very true (although i had no idea the roll off was as high as 90!!)

I got them as first monitors and struggle(no can't) hear the guts of a kick drum or bass fundamental on them generally. They are very revealing higher than that. after using them i understand their role as support monitors now though.

theblue1 said:
I'm aware that there are a number of highly paid producers who swear by NS10m's. Which puzzles the hell out of me. [/B]

i doubt many of them use them for mixing the bass end though, just for reference (and vocals in some interviews i've read). Especially when they've got that set of genelecs main monitors sitting flush mounted a few feet away!

Right. And probably a big old set of wall-shakers wtih 15" woofers at the front of the control room.

The NS-10m's are very revealing of problems in the upper mid-range (which is after all a very important part of the spectrum, where voices and most melodic instruments find most of their defnition and much of their color) -- as long as you get the hang of them.

One of the old saws has been that, if you can get your mix to sound good on NS-10m's, it'll sound good anywhere. I'm not sure that's so true. Well, I know it wasn't true in my case. I never got them right. In fact, I was getting better mixes overall on a pair of $50 apiece Yamaha consumer bookshelf speakers (they overall had a muddy sound... maybe that's why the switch to the fairly bright and present NS10's threw me off. And then there's the bass thing. Synth bass and NS10's don't work in my experience. Maybe with a subwoofer. I know there are a fair number of people who use them with subs.

theblue1 said:
Right. And probably a big old set of wall-shakers wtih 15" woofers at the front of the control room.

Damn straight!

theblue1 said:
The NS-10m's are very revealing of problems in the upper mid-range (which is after all a very important part of the spectrum, where voices and most melodic instruments find most of their defnition and much of their color) -- as long as you get the hang of them.[/B]

Thats all i use them for now. in my humble circumstances i'm still reduced to using a 2.1 system to check on the bass frequencies.

theblue1 said:
One of the old saws has been that, if you can get your mix to sound good on NS-10m's, it'll sound good anywhere. I'm not sure that's so true. Well, I know it wasn't true in my case. I never got them right.[/B]

That was the idea of them. At the time they were deemed the monitor that gave the best impression of what a mix would sound like on a 80'S(underline) hifi system, which may be why people have problems with them nowadays imo. Another part of their popularity became that an engineer could walk into any studio this side of timbuktoo and have a set of monitors his/her ears were tuned to and reference from there.

savvy

Well, for sure that's how it more or less worked out.

There is an interesting story kicking around about the NS10m that we may find on one of those urban legend websites. (And, you know, I'm compulsive about checking most stuff before I pass it along [at least unless noted, which I guess I'm doing here] but I'm pointedly not doing that here in order to get one more trip out of the story.)

According to the story, the product design guys had misjudged the market in the early 80's and produced a big initial run of small, higher quality bookshelf speakers. They had a somewhat tighter freq spec than a lot of consumer speakers and didn't boom at the bottom end at resonance bumps. But that was part of the problem. They didn't boom. The trend was to bigger speakers at the time (column speakers made a brief splash).

So they ended up with a big warehouse in Torrance or Compton, CA, with all these speakers. Some marketing manager for Yamaha was looking at this big sea of boxes, with a few opened up. He was playing with it and realized the front panel (with the grille screen) snapped off, revealing that now-signature stark, white cone.

Supposedly, he looked at it. Stepped back. Looked at it again and then walked about 20 feet back and looked at it again. (The story does not include him holding his thumb up like a Montparnasse street painter, it's tempting to imagine it.)

Anyhow, he liked what he saw. He airballed different ideas with the people there, talking about see-through or translucent screens, but nobody thought that was good, it would just diminish the drama of the white cone -- and besides it was expensive. They just wanted to find a way to unload these things.

Finally, someone said, don't they use bare speakers in TV and recording studios? TV stereo was pretty new then so there was an upgrade and retrofit boom. The marketing guys didn't think they'd have much luck in regular recording studios because they weren't very full range, but it was easy for them to picture them in a TV remote truck, especially since they were relatively small.

At the time, the home studio scene was just beginning. JBL's dominated the small studio scene but were expensive and notoriously uneven -- boomy, but with gaps, and hyped. Talk about a monitor learning curve. But they sounded "impressive" in the C.R. And you do have to impress the client. If you couldn't afford a pair of Urei's [who could?] you could at least kick 'em in the gut with some boomy bass and twist their ears a bit with some tweaky highs. It was into that scene that the NS-10m came in. It tamed and smoothed the high end a bit and really tightened up the bottom in comparison to the unruly 4311.

Where the 4311 could sound impressive, in a way, with its 'smile curve' response, its gappy uneveness tended to make mixers under-compensate in some areas and over-compensate in others.

The NS10m, OTOH, was a fair amount smoother, with a moderately even bass response. It's lack of sub-bass didn't usually get country and rock mixers into trouble, back before synth and 5-string basses (not to mention subbass synthesis) became more commonplace.

Last edited:
I've always found that their projection of the 1-5kHz frequencies help me sort out the most crowded area of a mix. I found that NS10s did a better job of showing how the horns/guitar/vocal/sax/synth etc all related in a mix.

True, they are "grot boxes" but they make a pretty reasonable approximation of how the average midi hifi system works. And let's face it, most people listen on crappy midi hifi systems.

They cetainly have a cherished place in the world of monitoring. Much more so than the crappy MSP range they've chosen to replace them with.

:)

MM

Messy man are you referring to the NS10S or the NS10ms? Do you know if the NS10ms are the same as what you are talking about? And what is MSP?

The MSP is the new yamaha range of nearfields designed to replace the NS10's.

MSP3
MSP5
MSP10

they look to be more of an accurate monitor with flatter response and an acceptable bass extension in the MSP10's.Not another Yamaha Grot Box

I somehow missed that big story post of yours last look!

If its true then thats whats known as great marketing.

Didn't jbl then release the 4411 with a GIANT white cone.

Perhaps in response, although they would be very large nearfields.

Last edited:
It's the white cone arms race... y'know, now that you mention it, the 4311's had white cones -- with a black diffuser dome in the middle. And I'm pretty sure the 4311 predated the NS10's... maybe my story is apocryphal.

Here's a picture of a 4311...

JBL_4311_2_web.jpg

And, equal time -- but not equal scale -- the Yammie NS10m:

ns10m.jpg

Last edited:
Back