Newbie studio Q's

S

sonic::bionic

Ok, I'm getting kinda tired of just playing songs for myself live, and I'm ready to start recording. Part of the reason is because I think I'll have more creativity tools at my disposal with a full complement of recording equipment (effects, mixer, recorder, editor, etc.). The problem is, I have no clue what makes a good mixer. How many tracks do I need? My sampler has 8 outs, my synth has one, and I plan on adding another sampler and some sound modules, plus effects. I have a hardware sequencer(Yamaha RM1X), and I like a few of the sounds in it and would like to use them, but it only has one output, which means any patches I sequence with native RM1X sounds would be recorded on a track-by-track basis. I don't want to buy something just to tide me over for a while, and then realize it doesn't do what I'd like it to do. Another problem is, I don't know whether to record to tape, ADAT, DAT, MiniDisc, get a Digital Audio Workstation, or just run a mixer to my PC. If I ran a mixer to my PC, would I just use Cubase or something like that to record each track individually, and then arrange them once they're recorded? Or what? I want quality gear that I won't outgrow!

get a basic 16 ch mixer Mackie VLZ is good and Cubase plus a soundcard.

My screen has freeked out so I can't tell if what I am posting is coming up , guess my puter is tired:(

Back