Newbie to production: what is what?

O

orbitus

I want to get into dance-music production, but have no idea what "instruments" do what. I know that you can get software programms that are basically like a whole lot of outboard gear (Reason, Cubase, Logic etc). What are the pro's / con's regarding software vs. hardware? What is all this outboard gear - what does each "instrument" do? (some brands might help me too)

The type of music I want to produce is progressive, epic and deep house.

Sorry for all the questions, but as I said, I am a newbie to all this.

Last edited by a moderator:
i'm a newbie when it comes to producing music too, i want to do it, but dont have a clue as to how to make it happen. i got cubase and that just confused me so much, after two hours (plus an additional 11 minutes) i had absolutely nothing created.

I'm a bit of a newbie too, but I find that hardware just lets you be more creative, i feel that if im using reason then its doing it all for me, and im only moving the mouse. Get something like a yamaha rm1x (remix sequencer)

orbitus said:

Sorry for all the questions, but as I said, I am a newbie to all this.
What would the forums be for if you couldn't ask questions!
O.k, first off, if mano says stuff that contridicts what i say, then take his version, he is god, and knows everything! (i start a lot of my posts in this way, but it saves confusion later).
I would like to start by saying that it is not "software vs. hardware". Cubase, for example, isnt ment to create tones. It is for altering, arranging, and sequncing the tones generated by hardware. There are some tools (eg, fruity loops) that are software, and reqiure no hardware, but to give a general statement to help all newbie producers:
Producing, is helping to edit music, but you need to have the music to produce in the first place, which is what the hardware is for.
peace:)

Beginning is never easy...Be aware that it will take several years before it will sound good. :) Reason is a good starting point as it involves everything that a real studio has to offer and it's cheap. A hardware unit may bring you additional flexibility but will introduce new difficulties (MIDI, audio signals etc...) Because you really don't have a use for a 3 grand synth, go rather with a hardware RMX1 box or an MPC if you have some more dosh.

Cubase is a wonderful program but it's way over the top for someone just beginning. Cubasis (a countdown package) will give you all the basics without making it too difficult with a lot of extra functions. With other words.. cubase (every top sequencer BTW) has a very steep learning curve.

The only true advice I can give to beginners is read read read and read some more. Read everything you can lay your hands on that relies to a topic of music production. Get familiar with the jargon, processes, stages in production and techniques. just you'll recognize a sequencer when you see it....and more important.. you'll know what it does.

PS: I noticed all the DJ prefixes :) welcome to the other side of the vinyl..

Back