New studio pics (gloat)

U

ukcoolat

Well here ya go - some new pics of my studio since I've moved it into a room all of its own - complete with Acoustic Damping on the walls :)

DCP_0001.JPG

DCP_0004.JPG

DCP_0005.JPG

Nice lookin studio ya got there...good to see sum Nottingham memorabilia in there also :D

Adam

Looks very nice !!
Well-organised and very neat (you should see my studioroom... :D )

Peace !! :cheers:

P.S.: are all those wooden desks and racks self-made ?

Last edited:
Yes, I stole that street sign. It's on the road I live on - Russell Drive. (ain't gonna advertise my exact address tho. lol)

I like to keep my studio as neat as possible - I can't work in a messy space - most of the cables are pretty well hidden. When I moved the studio into its own room I took the time to lay cables properly, marking with tags at either end what the other end was connected to for Signal, MIDI and Power cables. Any cables which shared the same run (i.e. back of synth/sampler rack to mixer) were all bundled together with zip ties.

A majority of the furniture in that room was made from scratch - the two desks with grey tops, the main rack with the mixer under it and the wooden unit with the AN1x on top and the DX9 below. Theres 6U of rack space in that as well as a useful little draw in the middle which currently holds Lighters, Rolling Papers, Fags, Incense Cones blah blah blah.

The Rack unit that the CRT stands on top of is an IKEA product that I altered myself to include 5U's of rack mount strip, 2 sliding trays (one for Keyboard at the top, other used to be for a TR505 drum machine I had) and the little mouse shelf. Theres also a mains distribution board fixed to the back.
The unit with all the vinyl in, and the decks on top is also IKEA. I cut the upright posts down about 12cm to make the top the height i wanted it and I added side bars to stop the vinyl falling out as well as a back stop so that all the vinyl is level and near to the front of the shelf.

Great work. Really !!

I won't say my room is not neat (it's non-smoking area, I avoid dust, and my wife cleans up the whole thing about once a week - I hate it when she tweaks the knobs, but on the other hand I'm glad she's doing the cleaning... :D ) but it's not that well-organised.

When I see this, I think it's ####ing time to make some time to re-organise my studio room. ;)

Respects ! :cheers:

Last edited:
There isn't 3 theres 2. The monitor on the right in the first pic is connected to a Roland S330 sampler. It lets you see all your settings, envelopes etc and perform waveform graphic editing. Mucho useful.

Then theres the two computers. The computer in the first pic is the main one that runs all the audio and midi sequencing software, and holds the cable internet connection.

The second PC is much lower power (an old 166). Its networked to the first to share files, printing and internet connection. This PC only does synth editing and some sample editing as well as running trash like MS Word, Excel blah blah blah.

If you want some constructive criticism :), perhaps consider positioning your studio monitors down near ear level. Do you find it difficult to get a good handle on the sterero imaging as well as proper eq? They are also a bit close to the wall which might create an unrealistic low end.

Just some advice from personal experience.

Good luck. Very neat bedroom setup...peace.

Syprik

Yea I've already identified that problem and i'm currently thinking of alternatives. I think i'm going to build another unit identicle to the unit that I built with 6U's of space and the AN1x on top of it in the 3rd pic. I can sit the monitors on the top with the MD deck in the middle. Im also thinking of getting another MX2642 mixer to add to the first, so that new unit will give me space to sit them next to each other.

Nice studio.. You got way more gear than I do.. I just use a three tier stand, and a table..:)

Hey... anybody else got pics from their studio?

I'm going to take some of mine on Friday (once it nears completion...

but... for some reason I really look forward to seeing pics of other people's studios... it's like seeing an intimate part of their existence :p ... and stuff like that...

so... expect some pics from me on Friday... nothing really to look forward to, but just a glimpse inside my soul... :eek:

Anyway... I think it would be really cool to see a bunch of pictures from people's studios...

if it's not an intrusion or inconvenience.

my studio:
wireless_top.jpg

RobinH: That studio is right near where I wait for the 43 every day on the way home from work. Does it have rehearsal space? My friend's band rehearse somewhere round here in old street. They're called jessejames

RobinH said:
Well if you look up at www.fortress-studios.co.uk you can see a guided video tour of my ProTools suite ( although it looks a bit different now , after Christmas ).
I didn't realise you were at fortress Robin - I did a live session for some radio station or other there a few years ago. Can't remember much about it - moody engineer (you possibly? ;) )

KasioRoks

Nottingham eh?

I used to live in bulwell myself, heavy studio i feel sick jus lookin at it

Marek ,

Indeed the 43 goes up City Rd , right by Provost St. Fortress 1 used to be the place known for rehearsal space. We don't really do it know in Fortress 2 . Fortress 1 closed down due the inexorable creep of the City and high rent prices ever eastward. Same will happen here too eventually. I did rent my studiospace out a while before christmas to The Libertines for rehearsal but since they got signed to Rough Trade , I haven't heard a peep from them.

Yeah , Kasio you will have done one of the SBN sessions ( Student Broadcast Network ) a kind of live altogether recording kind of thing. Were you on the ground floor or upstairs ? All engineers are moody ... it comes from having to put up with artisits all the time , now I wonder which bunch of ego tripping nobodies you were ;) ;) :). Seriously though , I only took over that space around September , but have been in the building for about 3-4 years.

Last edited by a moderator:
RobinH said:
All engineers are moody ... it comes from having to put up with artisits all the time , now I wonder which bunch of ego tripping nobodies you were ;) ;) :). Seriously though , I only took over that space around September , but have been in the building for about 3-4 years.
LOL :D poor old engineers, so desperate to make it as artists, so bitter when they don't ;)

KasioRoks

Back