New soundcard advise

M

Maurerpower

I'm gonna buy a new computer and i'm not sure what kind of soundcard i should get. I don't have much money ( poor student) so it's gonna be a low range model.
All i really wanna do is to be able to connect it to my (coming) digital amp. I see that most cards have an S/PDIF out instead of an optical out. Do most amps support this or do i need an optical out to keep the signal digital until the speakers?
What should i get. I think either an Terratec or a soundblaster are the best buy.

Terratec !

Hey Maurerpower !

Go for the Terratec all the way over the Creative. It got TRUE 24/96 support for both playing AND recording which the SB doesn't have...

Why don't you take a look at a Echo MIA ? It got 1 analog IN and 1 analog OUT but it's multi-client and you can actually have up to 8 virtual output through the driver. Nice Soundcard with nice sound come start I've heard...

mike

I just bought a Soundblaster Audigy...and i would advise you to stay away from it. It seems like a sweet card...but so far i have not got it to work properly!! At least with my recording program anyway. As with any piece of equiptment do as much research and reading of reviews as possible! (i was so tired of waiting to record that i skimped out a little on this step...and i think i might have payed for that.) Also make sure the soundcard you buy is compatible with your software. Good luck! And let us know what you end up getting...i would like to know...in case i have to get another one!

Peace,
Steve

Decision time

I finally decided to bu myself a Terratec DMXfire 1024. Quite cheap and good quality.
Thanx for the advise everyone.

Back