New To The Site

Building My Studio

whassup everyone. i have reading up on this site for a while and decided to join i think this is one of the coolest forums i have ever found and very informational (i swear i thought i was the only one going thru the some of the complications of building a studio. selecting the right gear. and stage fright lol. i was lucky enough to be given a office space to build my studio by my family members. I would like to have an acoustic treatment done to the room itself and i would like to build an isolation booth in the closet inside the room. i was gonna just get the roominator 2 kit from auralex for the control room but im not sure if its as easy to do it as they say it is. As far as the vocal booth i have did plenty of research on building but im not sure where to start. i had called a company to explain to them that i wanted to treat the room and build a vocal booth in the closet. the price for the work seems good to me. but im not sure if its good or not or if im better off doing it myself and just doing full research on everything. I usually prefer to do things myself because i grasp a better understanding of how things work that way.
i have pics of my studio space on photobucket because they are to big to post here so check my sig

these are the dimension and background info for the room:
if your looking into the studio from the entrance the back wall and left wall is sheetrock and hollow but like i said soundproofing the control room is not needed just some acoustic treatment. the wall on the right hand side(with security monitor) is all concrete and there is a citibank on the otherside of that wall. so its prolly a very thick wall. inside the closet where i would like to build the booth the left wall and back all are concrete and the right wall is sheetrock. The sliding doors i would like to replace with one swing door and a wall with a window area.
The ceilings are suspended with 3/4 inch panels. not sure what kind but they are light.
Office Space:
8.6ft W x 15ft L x 8.5ft H

The space between the suspened ceiling and the other ceiling is 1.5ft H

Closet:
4.5ft W x (2.6ft L from back wall to inside of sliding doors)(3ft L from
back wall to outside of sliding doors) x 8.5ft H

here is the e-mail i was sent

Thank you for the details. I think your main concern is acoustics for
you control room. you are looking at close to 17 2x4 foot x 4 inch
thick sound absorption panels.I go through a highly respected company
called gik.acoustics.com they use the correct sound absorbing material
within beautiful panels with dozens of colors to chose from. Look to
spend closet to $1400 on just them and all of my tuning installations
are $600. As far as your booth the sliding doors are nice but more
than likely they are hollow. I think they should simply be beefed up
with a special sound blocker material. I can cut out and add a window
(plexiglass) to one of the doors and add seals to the frame. for the
wires I simple run a piece of 2 inch pvc plastic pipping so you can
snake anytime. You will also need to buy a reflection filter for your
booth $80 sam ash. looks like you have some minor electric that is no
problem. So labor for all of this will run you around a $1200. If this
sounds good we should set up a meeting and order the materials. I'll
need $200 after we put your order in at gik. This may take me and
another guy a couple of days of labor so after the first day $500 and
second day the final day $500. please feel free to call me anytime

so is the price he wants me to pay good or should i keep looking or build myself. thanks for any advice i can get

any advice??

Last edited:
The main issue with your room is that you've got two repeated dimensions, and they're both small. That's going to cause big issues in the 60Hz area, which is why the person you talked to recommended so many 4" panels.

As for the booth, I'd just skip it. A closet is going to sound like a closet no matter what you do to it.

Frank

Back