A new place to buy Acoustic Foam!!!!

invizibleink

Hey people if your looking to equip your studio with foam but can't afford $300-$400. I did some serious foam hunting and found a spot which can get you the same quality foam for much much less then major retailers sell it for. I hope this helps you out as it did for me.

Peace!!!

foambymail.com

No not good. Horrible as a matter of fact.
For one they are a sham. Ethan winer did a acoustic test and if you check all their specs are the same as auralex. Well when Ethan Winer tested them they were no where even remotely close to even round it anywhere near the published numbers they brag about. They are marketed as acoustic or soundproofing treatment but it is not good. Plus if you spend the same amount in moving blankets to kill reflextions it would be a wiser investment because well you can use them when your moving. They also tested how flamable they were. Again published claims by this company were lies and they were no where near coding for material to have up on the walls.

Real Traps Test

If you do a quick google search you will see there are tons of forums that also have "found: this company and again each post says this same thing I am saying. They are not a trust worthy company to buy acoustic foam from. Now the couch my reupholstered a year ago has great foam from foambymail.com....

I recommend GIK Acoustics for any pre built treatment or you can go the DIY route.

Okay, hang on a sec. Ethan, Glenn and I, among others have actually done quite a bit of research on these guys, and the results were not good. Ethan actually tested their stuff and exposed their testing data as a bald-faced lie. Please note that I am not bashing foam on general principals; the right stuff bought from a reputable manufacturer (RPG, Auralex and Sonnex, to name a few) works very well in most cases (though not so much for bass trapping), but the cheap stuff is NOT, I repeat NOT AT ALL the same stuff just without the brand name. The reason that the data is the same is because Foam by Mail lifted the data from the Auralex website.

Lest I be misconstrued as a foam hater or something, go do quick search on "Foam by Mail" over at Gearslutz. See what you get.

Frank

Guys thanks for the info on this topic that I posted, the main reason I posted it is because I bought the acoustic foam from them awhile ago and by having it placed in my project studio area I see little to no difference from the foam in a major studio since a majority of people on this site have a project studio it does not hurt them to give it a try. It will give them more money in the long run for them to spend on better powered moniters.

invizibleink said:
Guys thanks for the info on this topic that I posted, the main reason I posted it is because I bought the acoustic foam from them awhile ago and by having it placed in my project studio area I see little to no difference from the foam in a major studio since a majority of people on this site have a project studio it does not hurt them to give it a try. It will give them more money in the long run for them to spend on better powered moniters.

I don't doubt your perceptions, but be that as it may there is IN FACT a difference. It WILL NOT work as advertised; that's not a guess. It's been tested.

Secondly saving money by buying cheap acoustic treatment that doesn't work so you can buy better monitors doesn't make any sense. It's exactly the same thing as putting a vintage U67 through a Samson preamp...completely ass-backwards. It doesn't matter how good the monitors are if the room is lying to you.

Nothing personally, seriously...but Foam by Mail is actually pretty infamous. As I said, don't take my word for it...do a search and see what you find.

Frank

Thanks for the info I as for checking out the test spec I will def check into although it would be alittle too late since they have already been purchased and used for over a year. Weasel and obi I do truly thank your input on this subject I have read numerous posts and I know that you guys are knowledgeable in this subject but if you have not tested out yourself its a completely diff story and that's really all I am bring to this post is an actual test by ear and thru the ears of other studio rats that have came thru my place. I had my reservations but I also had an extra couple of dollars to check them out. Once again thanks for the info I will def check it out and if I see something that is remotely putting my lab in danger of burning down I will have no problem ripping them off the wall.

Weasel "gik" actually looks really good I will get a couple of pieces to test out, and hit you up to let you know how things work out.

Last edited:
invizibleink said:
Thanks for the info I as for checking out the test spec I will def check into although it would be alittle too late since they have already been purchased and used for over a year. Weasel and obi I do truly thank your input on this subject I have read numerous posts and I know that you guys are knowledgeable in this subject but if you have not tested out yourself its a completely diff story and that's really all I am bring to this post is an actual test by ear and thru the ears of other studio rats that have came thru my place. I had my reservations but I also had an extra couple of dollars to check them out. Once again thanks for the info I will def check it out and if I see something that is remotely putting my lab in danger of burning down I will have no problem ripping them off the wall.

Weasel "gik" actually looks really good I will get a couple of pieces to test out, and hit you up to let you know how things work out.
ok fine I bought some. There I confess. I put some up in a drum booth I built. In the end I took plexi glass and we built bass traps and put hinges on the and a few resting on top as a cloud. I wasted about 140 ish dollars on the crap. Forget testing, I bought it trusted it and was disappointed by it. Only after did I do a search and actually I heard it from Glenn first. I posted a GS a long time ago and challenged him on it. Then came the link to Ethan's site. I understood what they were saying cause I didn't want to believe they were total crap but just crap for making a drum booth. There you go.

Back