New mixer

B

BThrowd

Im thinkin bout buyin a new mixer and ive done lots of searches on here for that but my situation is kinda different. Im only using a mixer to plug my Symetrix vocal strip into my computer. So literally the only plugs being used on it are the line in and line out. I have a cheap radio shack mixer and i know that cant have good sound quality but if im only the line in and line out of it would that affect my quality. If so and i do need new mixer Im pretty sure i want a mackie from what ive read. Im only recording vocals and sometimes guitar for right now. So what mackie mixer or any other decent brand for around 300 or less would suit my basic needs. I assume some mixers have hardware effects like reverb and what not, all ive ever used was software effects. What would the benifits of using hardware effects be if any? Do mixers have Eq or Compression on em?

Well, if you can swing $500, the new Onyx mixers by Mackie are very nice

The only mixers with onboard FX worth using are digital (they will also have compression and EQ on each channel)

But from what you have described you dont really need a mixer, why not just connect the channel strip straight to your sound card?

If you only need a couple of preamps, then I would say go for the Mackie 1202-VLZ Pro.....they are a cool little mixer and will provide you with a decent quality preamp for most general purposes.

Someone told me that i needed to use a mixer to hook up a vocal strip so thats just what i did but i tried plugging it straight into my soundcard and it does work and actually sounds alittle better but its not as loud as i would like it to be. In the symetrix manual it says for condensor mics to avoid distortion keep the mic gain knob at 9 oclock (30db)but when i run it straight to the soundcard i have to turn it almost to 12 oclock (40db). I havent noticed any any obvious distortion but my ears are still untrained.
That onyx mixer sure is lookin nice. Im gonna do some huntin on ebay for that.
Im gonna check out that 1202-vlz-pro too. I guess as of right now i really dont need a mixer but i sure want one and in the future i plan to maybe get some kinda key board to help out with my beats in FL and maybe a few other instruments too. So i will need a mixer for that right? What else do yall use mixers for?

How about a better audio interface if you don't already have something decent?

Also, manuals give you a starting point but gain settings will differ from setup to setup. At times you may need more gain at other times less.

Im kinda confused. What is an audio interface? All i have is a Audiophile 24/96 the symetrix and a cheap mixer.
What does a decent audio interface run and what are some brands to look for?
Im not sure my budget cuz i dont know what they run but im gonna say about 300 i guess

BThrowd said:
Im gonna check out that 1202-vlz-pro too. I guess as of right now i really dont need a mixer but i sure want one and in the future i plan to maybe get some kinda key board to help out with my beats in FL and maybe a few other instruments too. So i will need a mixer for that right? What else do yall use mixers for?
Basically, I use my mixer (Mackie VLZ) to monitor my synths. I write songs using MIDI, and the outputs of my synths are hooked up to the stereo line channels so I can hear what they are playing, which is why you will need a mixer if you are planning on buying some outboard synths etc.

I also use my mixer if I need a couple of more pre-amps (eg when recording drums), and I hook up the stereo output from my soundcard to another stereo line level channel and monitor everything from my computer through the mixer. Also my active monitors are hooked up to the control room outputs of my mixer.

Hope this helps, good luck!

Last edited:
jasedee
How many mics does it take to record drums? and what kind of mics are generally used? just curious i always wanted drums so it wouldnt surpise me if i went out and bought some

Anjy
your mixer is probably in better condition but im kinda tight right now and found 1 on ebayfor 235 "buy it now"
still not sure im gonna get it. either way i think i might need monitors first. but if you still have it in a few weeks and i dont find a better deal i will certainly consider taking you up on that.
thanks

BThrowd said:
jasedee
How many mics does it take to record drums? and what kind of mics are generally used? just curious i always wanted drums so it wouldnt surpise me if i went out and bought some
Thats like one of those "how long is a piece of string" questions really....

Some people use one mic for every tom, and then 2 mics on the snare (top & bottom, or both on top), and then maybe 2 mics for the kick (inside & out), and then you got your 2 overhead mics, and then maybe 1 or 2 room mics, and then the hi-hat......

I use 5 mics at home.

Snare
Kick x 2 (in and out)
2 x overheads
and then maybe a couple of ambient mics if I can borrow some extra mic stands......

Some people use maybe only 3 mics, and get fantastic results. It all depends on the space in which you record your drums in, and the placement of your mics, keeping in mind the phase relationship between mics, to turn your "spill" into "ambience".......

Drums are very tricky, but very fun too!

Good luck mate!

edit: I use Rode NT5's for my overheads, AKG D112 for kick, SM57 for snare, behringer dynamic for extra kick mic or snare mic, and then AKG C2000B and Rode NT1 for ambient/room mics.

Last edited:
Back