Thread: New MIDI Keyboard advice

Thanks

New MIDI Keyboard advice

Sign in to disable this ad
    My Remote Sl 25 is on its last legs (knobs and faders doing weird things), so I am going to get a new keyboard. I currently have a Yamaha CP33 as my main keyboard, which is 88key piano action. I am thinking on getting a Remote Sl 25mk2 49 key to round things out. I have a couple questions:
    1. Any reason to get 61 key for a 2nd keyboard? I am a piano player and I am used to using weighted keys to input most parts, and I can always use both boards simultaneously if I need to orchestrate a big part. Any real advantage to having a 61 key if I already have a bigger keyboard?
    2. In terms of studio layout, whats the best way to set both up? Right now I have my 88key to the left of my desk on a keyboard stand, so I just turn my chair to use it, or just use my left hand. I use my 25key right on my desk in front of my computer. The 49key may be a bit big to sit on my desk, so would it be a good idea to just get a 2nd tier for the keyboard stand?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Thanks
    It seems you yourself have to come up with some decisions! Do you want one in front of you or do you mind to the side? Does a lot of your work need multiple octaves for instruments/synths or only every once in awhile?

Personally, 25 keys isn't enough for me - and I don't even have a ton of training on piano. If you've already got a full sized hammer action keyboard, IMO a good compliment would be a semi-weighted 49 key if you can fit it in front of you. For me personally, a keyboard directly in front is really nice for quick access, and you can easily turn to the 88 key to get a full on session going if need be. Also, semi-weighted is nice for synth work since a lot of other instruments / synths aren't played like a piano, and sometimes a full weighted keyboard can make you too used to playing the instrument like a piano rather than what it is.
    Alexander Reynolds
    GIK Acoustics USA (770) 986 2789 | GIK Acoustics Europe +44 (0) 20 7558 8976 (UK)

Thread Information