new commercial studio - a dream come true

I rented some space in a commercial building about a month and a half ago. I wanted a place to record local guys/gals away from my home. Also itts ideal for working on my music (see myspace www.myspace.com/thekitywhisperer)

total space is 300 sq ft.

10' x 30 '

custom built vocal booth on one end about 5' x 10' . This was built-out as a "room inside a room" and is floating and isolated. the booth is totally wrapped in foam (the clients like to see foam, lol) I also have bass traps which will do the real work hopefully. no 703 yet,.....yet.

The main room is @ 25' x 10'. hardwoods and more foam and bass traps. its been painted dark green. it looks good with the dark green, hardwoods and charcoal foam.

tonight I will bring over most of the equipment. Again its a place to do strictly vocals and my music, so I use a Sterling ST-66 (GT-66) into a Focusrite Trackmaster Pro into my comp running cubase, ACID, reason etc.

As I continue to get set up, I will treat the room more. Luckily I have a couple of friends who do vocals, so I can test until it sounds good. I expect to make continual improvements until I get a good sound. Only then will I begin to book paid sessions.

Pics will be taken tonight and posted right here.

CONGRATS DUDE, that sounds awsome....if u dont mind me askin, how much is it costing u to rent this place? either way once u start doin payed sessions it should start payin for itself.

Digi 002 console

PT 7

HP duo core 1.6 - 1024 ram - 2 external HDD's

**** bum old monitor (will be replaced with 15" LCD ASAP)

In the rack there is a:

Furman
Focusrite Trackmaster Pro
Berhinger headphone amp
Alesis 300 watt reference amp (for the Alesis Monitor Two's)

Alesis Monitor Two's (3 way with a 10")
Alesis M1 Active MKII's

Internet comp and LCD

A lot of ****ty foamfactory product (the kids like to see it)

Vocal Booth - Isolated on all 6 sides and floating

Mic - Sterling ST-66

The chair that my Mother used to hold me in as a child

that's about it. There is a TV on the other wall with Xbox

I don't want to... Ummm... Maybe you'd... uh...

Don't you think you should get that amp a *little* further away than "right on the desk?"

MASSIVE Mastering said:

Don't you think you should get that amp a *little* further away than "right on the desk?"

lol

The setup looks disgusting. I know. I've looked at your control room pics. I admire how everything is minimalistic and properly placed.

(eventually) I'm going to disconnect everything , hang the large monitors, acquire a better desk, relocate the rack and make the space more user friendly.

MASSIVE Mastering said:

hey Massive,
school me! lol...

why should it be further away?
in case it blows up or somethin'?

cuz i just got my TB2S+s and bryston 3b.
i've been wanting to set them up...but i always wondered where the amp should be in relation to the monitors...

_chris

Last edited:
I'd keep my amp in another room if I could. As it is, it's as far away from everything else as possible. That's an awfully strong electrical field to have sitting on a desk with sensitive line-level devices...

Pretty nice choices on your chain there though PMC & Bryston is the Canadian equivalent to PB & J - I'd just put the amp at the wall between the speakers. But at least several feet from any other sensitive I/O or processing electronics...

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you or the building insured against theft? It's the smart thing to do. A crazy amount of recording/practice spaces are victims of theft.

Back