Network and broadband help plz!

S

spirez

Right computer experts, i've just got a new pc in my room and was wondering if there is any way to have broadband on it without having to have the downstairs computer switched on? I've currently got both computers networked together which is ok, but sometimes the network connection breaks for no reason and i have to go back downstairs to reset it.

Also, i wil be leaving my computer on all night downloading but didnt really want to have both on as it is not really necessary.

The other question is, how do i get access to all folders and files on the old computer from this one? i've already ticked the 'share this folder' box on every folder an the little hand symbol is underneath everything, they show up on this PC but when i click on them i cant access them. i get a warning message saying something like 'access denied, you may not have permission to use this'

sorry bout the long post, hope someone can help!

This is the wrong forum but did you look into a wireless router and PCI card? That should clear up the "both machines on" problem.

The linksys has a wireless G system that can share an internet connection, files, printers etc. You would simply need a wireless G router on the computer with the internet connection and the 2nd computer would get a wireless PCI card. I think the 1st computer would have to be on to share files but it can be off if the 2nd computer is only DL off the internet.

Linksys

As for the sharing folder bit, I am not sure what to do there, sorry I cant help you on that.

Since you already have them networked there is no need to worry about going wireless (its a pain). All you need is a router, many modems come with this builtin these days.

A switch isnt going to help, and most routers have a 4 port switch.

spirez said:
The other question is, how do i get access to all folders and files on the old computer from this one? i've already ticked the 'share this folder' box on every folder an the little hand symbol is underneath everything, they show up on this PC but when i click on them i cant access them. i get a warning message saying something like 'access denied, you may not have permission to use this'
[/B]

Hmmm, well, if I may. I work tech support at a software company so...

K, this is what you. First make sure that you log into Windows as an admin with full rights. Make certain that you share the folder out to the network, (sounds like you got that already).

1) Make certain that you have full access and I mean full read, write, change, whatever your system phrases it as when you share this folder out, (there may be an extra button for additional options under a sharing tab if you have one.

2) Ok, now that you have it shared to the network, your best bet is mapping a drive letter on the other workstation to that mapped folder.

3) To do this, jot down the computer name from the downstairs workstation.

You can do this by Right Clicking on "My Computer">select properties>under properties go to computer name tab, you'll see it listed under FULL COMPUTER NAME, (ie Full Computer Name: tFP653)

4) Once you have the computer name, go to the workstation upstairs. Click on START>RUN>and type the computer name in as a UNC, (ie: type the computer with 2\'s before the computer name and end it with a slash as well \\tFP653\ ) click OK. You'll see all the folders that the downstairs computer is sharing out to the network.

5)Right click on the folder that you shared out and click on Mapping. Under the mapping options, select an unassigned drive, (ie: T:\ ) letter and make certain that RECONNECT AT LOGGIN is checked off. Click OK

6) Now, you'll be able to access that folder from MY COMPUTER the same way you'd access your C:\ or your A:\

7) Holla if have any specific questions

Last edited:
thanks for all the replies people. sorry if this is the wrong forum!

I just use a Netgear router. It was easy to install and actually worked with my cable broadband (unlike others I tried).

Back