The Neptunes

S

snypz

Who has pictures of there studio or know what equipment they use?

good question.

But i'm sure the truth is shrouded in deep and ancient mysteries and safe gaurded with rythmic hex's.:bat:

Or mabey not.

rest asured i'll be checking back to see if anyone else has info

snypz,
You will find 253,649 arguements on the topic of what equipment does the Neptunes use. I for one, actually saw two short clips of the Neptunes in the studio. They both were ran as a special for MTV during the last two Video Music Awards. Basically they have a number of boards and guitars, and I know that the first instrument that they learned was the sax. But don't take my word for. Try to see if MTV still has the clips on the website, if not call them and ask for a video, matter of fact if you are able to see the one from two years ago, you will also get clips of Timbaland, P. Diddy, and Jermaine Dupri in the studio.

snypz,
I don't know where you are located, but I'm from Miami, and last night MTV had another special, this time about teh making of Justin Timberlake album. They showed him in the studio with the Neptunes and Timbaland. If you get to watch it somehow, you will see there studios. MTV will air it 540,505,001.054 times this week so hopefully you will catch it.:monkey: :sing: :monkey:

ha, well i live in canada toronto so i dont got MTV =\ but do they happend to have it on MTV's website?

i remember that special... it was a producers competition between pufffy, the neps, jermaine dupri and timbaland... i think they gave them each 15 MINUTES to come up with a remix of that opera joint from "Carmen." as i remember... nobody's results were all that good... but you got a nice glimpse on the studios tho... i got it on vhs somewhere...

i definitely remember seeing pharell sampling on a korg triton.. and there was a GANG of rack stuff ... like planet phat, orbit... just racks and racks of modules... i'll have to find the tape.

sounds

Duo,props for those nice tracks.I'm definatly feelin the last one.Its nice to hear some good talent behind music again and keep up the good work......
RR

duo anyway you could upload the contents of tape or do you know where we can watch that episode..that just seems like a fun thing to watch for all the Future producers

thanks for the feedback jnr... i appreciate it!

nate... mann.. i don't know of any links... and i got a feeling that tape is still in one of my boxes at my parents house back in illinois... (along with my 1200s, my event monitors, all my vinyl... and my BURNER!!) --didn't mean to leave my burner!!

so once i find that tape, i'll see what i can do on uploading it... it'll be a while tho... maybe January?? lol

Last edited:
MRT1212 said:
**** the neptunes...wait no, thats too caustic...**** THE PEOPLE WHO WANT TO BE THE NEPTUNES

Actually I want to make sure I don't get the exact keyboard as them kthx

man phat... that was a good link man... i hadn't seen that interview... valuable stuff. pharell is a hilarious cat. but they brought up some good points.

thanks again...

if you ever get to meet them, their kool like that.They will tell you to do your thang and keep striving get out and attend the conferences on music and the industry. i mean network like hell it works for me.:D

In the November issue of EQ magazine you will find an article about one of the engineers for the Neptunes. They have two, one in NY and one in VA. This particular article was about the one in NY. The subject of the article was about how the Neptunes got their bass sound. The engineer said that out of all the gear that they have access to only keyboard sounds combined w/ vintages compressors make up their bass sound. He also went on to say that out of all the gear that the Neptunes have in their studio and out of all the instruments they play, only keyboard sounds are used to compose track. I would think that all the other instruments help in creating ideas for beats and are sampled. This all boils down to getting inside that sound source and just learning how everything works, what this and that does, and how you can make a sound thin or fat. In the past I have only used factory sounds. Now I am getting into soundiver, the program is a little hard but it is dope. I like being able to see everything I'm doing. Once you get use to using the program, you will probubly buy another monitor just for soundiver. It can be the control center for all of your soundsources.

soundiver. very interesting.. this is not the first time i heard somebody say how nice soundiver is...

and your point on getting into the generators and that... thats why i think i'm gonna seriously need to get myself into an Oxygen 8 or something else that i can adjust envelopes, filters and parameters on the fly... turn some knobs you know? even tho mainly the techno/electronica type music guys seem to use that stuff the most... i think you can make some seriously next level r&b with such capabilities. sounds like thats what the neps and them are doing (although i know they aint doin it on a oxygen 8!)

say how would soundiver compare to something like soundforge... better? not as good?

I just got done reading that article in EQ. The keyboards and modules that they use according to the engineer are: Korg Triton, Asr-x, and Roland 5080. He also says that he tracks the sequence with protools.

Soundforge is for editing audio. Sound diver is for editing midi. I'm looking into getting the Oxy 8 as well but I saw a controller on either sweetwater or sam ash's web site that had 8 real faders above the keys. It's made by midiman as well. Damn that's a good company. 61 keys and 8 faders. Tight!

Back