Need Sound Treatment Advice

RoosterMusic

Hey guys!
I recently bought 6 0.5m^2 sound absorbers but i have trouble placing them, after i have done two i cant really figure out to place the next 4. It is because I have two walls where i can't place any sound treatment on (one is a window and the other one a closet). So if someone here who has a bit more experience then me on this subject, then I would love to here your advice :). First i will show you some pictures of the room and then the problems I'am having with it.

My room
IMG_1746.JPGIMG_1747.JPGRoom acousitc.png

The biggest problems i have having it with the bass, it is literally flying all over the place. I also have huge amounts off bass near my wall on the other side of my monitors, and my bass gets totally lossed in the middle in my room. When i clap while standing in the middle of my room you can here quite some reverb, it is even audible when speaking.
I am always producing facing my TV

I know there there are a lot of things wrong in my setup, my monitors should be way closer together and on the smallest wall of the room not the longest, but this are unfortunately things i can't really change since i also need to sleep and study here :(.

What i want to now
So what i wanted to know is if simply need to place the 4m^2 reaming of sound treatment against the wall wall opposite of my monitors, or if there is any need in placing one above my PC screen or something. I have also seen people placing them against there ceiling, is that useful?

ANY ADVICE WOULD BE REALLY APPRECIATED!

I am not sure what you mean by saying that, I actually have already read it and it is a great thread but it doesn't really tell Where to place your sound treatment and that is what i need to know. If have already done some research but the problem is that every room is so different that you cant just copy what someone else is doing. If you mean that i should get bass traps to fix the bass resonance in my room then i understand you. But the problem is that i might move to an other room in a couple of months and i don't really feel like investing lot's of money in bass traps and then have to trow them away because i don't have any room for them. And i thought that regular absorbers also work against bass resonance but just not as good as bass traps, or is that not true?

I am not sure what you mean by saying that, I actually have already read it and it is a great thread but it doesn't really tell Where to place your sound treatment and that is what i need to know. If have already done some research but the problem is that every room is so different that you cant just copy what someone else is doing. If you mean that i should get bass traps to fix the bass resonance in my room then i understand you. But the problem is that i might move to an other room in a couple of months and i don't really feel like investing lot's of money in bass traps and then have to trow them away because i don't have any room for them. And i thought that regular absorbers also work against bass resonance but just not as good as bass traps, or is that not true?

If you can't put absorbers on the side walls cause there's a closet and a window there, then put the remaining absorbers that you have on the wall in front of you and behind you. The wall that your computer is facing is where early reflections start. The picture I added is a good example to use.

rmd108_1.jpg

1) you need to move your furniture around so that your desk and speakers are along the short wall - otherwise everything is for nought
2) you do not need to add bass traps right now, especially if you are moving
3) the article does tell you where to place first reflections treatment
- which is about all you can do in this room if you are not able to do anything else
- piece of string from center of speakers to wall directly opposite (straight out from the speaker)

bandcoach said:
source
Early reflections control
Foam on the walls at the points of early reflection are an important tool in stopping mid and high frequency reverberation. The foam serves to break up the reflection path and so control the amount of sound that is reverberated around the room.

You can determine the points of early reflections by taking a piece of string from your speaker cones straight out to where the signal hits the wall in front of it and behind it - that's right early reflections can occur both in front and behind the speaker, as most speaker cabinets are designed to radiate the signal both forwards and behind.

4) if you cannot change your room then resign yourself to working mostly with headphones to eliminate room factors and using your monitors for confirming your mix decisions

Thanks a lot guys. @Bandcoach, I forgot to mention that the early reflections are happening at the places where my window and closet are, i already have placed absobers behind my speakers. I probably will just have to wait for my new room and arrange that one in a more "studio friendly" way.

Back