Need Monitors! Suggestion?

TXbeatbang

i desperately need some monitors. im looking in the $ 600 range. ive got an empty room in the house i just copped and am making it my beat suite! i know i need some foam too..im visiting fam in NYC in january...

can i get a great deal there or should i order from sweetwater or zzounds like i usually do? i guess i shoiuld bring a cd into GC and listen to that to test them out right. im just wondering whats up with that price range...

thanks..

heres y myspace..

www.myspace.com/bringbacktheboombapmusic

man you want some good monitors! get them KRK V8 or RP 8 if you ballin. but the krk v8's are not too expensive. if you can make your track sound tight on them then youre good.

yeah ive heard good things about them. do i need a sub??

cuz ive been mixin this 1 beat to death and got it sounding great. then i was at work and i listened on those speakers and it was terrible!

you shouldnt need a sub with those. check out tha reviews on it at. zzsounds.com
what kinda speakers u using now

KRK's are good but check out those JBL's 4238's

Krk's are good. I was going to get those. I heard that they are light on the bass so a sub would be recommended. I did wind up purchasing those new JBL 4238's. Now these speakers are crazy. They come with a mic that you place in the sweet spot, for when you mix, you connect the mic to one of the speakers and the speakers sweep the frequencies. As a result the speakers are tuned to your room. I was blown away by this. Now my mixes are true and are consistant no matter what system I play the tracks on.
The JBL's are not cheap 1,000.00 or more but I figure if i'm going to do this for a living I need the best. My clients are impressed and that to me is worth everything cause the clients are paying for it.

yeah i checked out those KRK's. i think the RP6's would be best for my room size, but i havent measured it yet. its a spare room..like the size of your kids room. right now im using the pc speakers to mix and make beats. ive got this Dell 6 speaker setup with a big ass sub. its great for listening to music....but not making it. for example check out the tracks on myspace. they sounded good at home, but people been sayin the bass is ****ed up and its muffled. DAMN...mixing on pc speakers was a waste of time huh...

alot of great reviews for the KRK's i must say...on top of say 4-600 for monitors..how much will all the foam and bass trapping cost?? like i said i need to measure the room still.

I think you mean the V6's I don't think there is a RP6. The RP5's or 8's. The V series is the way to go though.

yeah there are rp-6's the neptunes uses them. they are about $199 a piece on zzsounds.com I might be going with those myself. I aint tryna by no subwoofer I need the all in one. now those Jbl's I heard about them they are good. but cost too much 4 me right now.

this is the specs on them. looks good enuff to me!

Woofer: 6 in. glass aramid composite woofer

Tweeter: 1 in. neodymium soft dome tweeter with ferro fluid

Input: XLR (3-pin), RCA & 1/4 in. TRS - 10k Ohm, balanced / unbalanced

Amplification (HF/LF): 18 watts/50 watts, 24 dB octave filters

Frequency response: 49Hz - 20kHz

Video shielding: yes

Last edited:
specs on the v62 series

Video Shielding: Standard

Drivers:
HF 1 in. Soft Dome Tweeter
LF 6 in. Kevlar Woofer

Input:
XLR & 1/4 in. TRS Combo
10K Ohm Balanced
Pin 1 + Sleeve = Ground
Pin 2 + Tip = High
Pin 3 + Ring = Low

Amplification: 120 watt Bi-amp with 24dB/octave

Dimensions:
13 5/8 in. x 9 7/16 in. x 10 in.
(34.6 x 24 x 25.4 cm)

behringer 2010a (active) truth monitors are a great bang for the buck, i've had them for about a year and they're great.

If you can come up with a decent amplifier, B&W DM602's. For $600, I'm truly not sure if they can be beat.

I'm not even sure if they can be beat for nearly twice that... Except for the 604's... :monkey:

MASSIVE Mastering said:
If you can come up with a decent amplifier, B&W DM602's. For $600, I'm truly not sure if they can be beat.

I'm not even sure if they can be beat for nearly twice that... Except for the 604's... :monkey:
how much would a decent amp go for with them?? look im not tryin to drop more than i would spend on the laptop...but i dont want to buy junk thatll need replacing next year....something to get me thru the beginning stages.

I have'nt needed a sub for these JBL's. Subs would be great for NS-10's but with the JBL's I have not had a problem.

TXbeatbang said:
how much would a decent amp go for with them?? look im not tryin to drop more than i would spend on the laptop...but i dont want to buy junk thatll need replacing next year....something to get me thru the beginning stages.
A used Bryston, Rotel, maybe a Hafler - $300 or so? I've seen many for less.

Pairing speakers like those up with a decent amplifier will take you long past "the beginning stages" - If I were setting up a mixing space, I'd probably get a pair again myself. And I'm quite freakin' picky with speakers (if you couldn't tell).

Last edited by a moderator:
MASSIVE Mastering said:

i checked those out....they're bookshelf speakers right? ive never heard of mixing with speakers like that. plus the company doesnt make them anymore and i like to buy things brand new.....they look tight though.

the thing thats funny about researching gear online is that if you read customer reviews, sometimes half the people say its the best thing ever, and the rest are saying its a cheap piece of ****.

who usually has the best prices? because i usually order online, but ive discovered lately that some music stores are desperaste to sell gear.

^^^You've been brainwashed my friend "Studio Monitors" is a name put on Bookshelf speakers so they can be sold for more money. B&Ws are a favorite for Rock and Pop engineers, every hip hop engineer with a pair of KRKs think they're doing something, but let's be real. Who's getting the more professional mixes. Good pair of B&Ws or JBLs($400-800) > any "Studio Monitors" under $1000 period.

But here on FP, they'll tell you otherwise. I've got a pair of Event 20/20s that never get used because I'm busy using alternative and better sources. And those are the most expensive out of all my monitoring sources.

Last edited:
I mean I get most of my stuff mixed in tha big house that Im puttin out anyway. So if im at home a good pair of monitors 600 and under can do the job to get me half way there. Most producers use regular monitors I mean krk's, bx8's events, yamahas whatever to make the beat and record to. but when mixing it u gotta really invest in tha most expensive or real good ones typically. I dont think Timbaland does final touches on the mix to the KRK's he just uses them to make tha tracks. the second process..

Bowers and Wilkins DM602 Series 3.

I don't think they're in any hurry to discontinue one of the most popular "entry level audiophile" speakers ever made...

Sexy, too...

large_black.jpg

But yes, you've been brainwashed by marketing. "Studio monitors" are traditionally large, full-range, standard dispersion boxes made from audiophile grade components. Over the last decade or so, the term has been watered down to the point where some goofy $300 *active* short-throw, nearfield, limited range heap with a "studio monitor" sticker on it passes for a professional tool.

(@ Romil) There's certainly a reasonable need for smaller loudspeakers in the studio - I always tracked using the small boxes (*after* the core sounds were established), I'd mix maybe half the time with them (again, after the core was established on the "regular" speakers) and I've used several "hybrid" speakers in the interim. But you're absolutely right - Small nearfields were generally never intended to be used as mains until the home-recording craze started.

And that's another nice thing about using an "actual decent speaker" instead of what many are considered "studio monitor" for small home and project studio use. Something like a 602 or a JBL S38 have MUCH better range and response than most of what you can grab at GC, aren't limited to the near-field (which means your acoustics should be up to snuff to some extent) and are actually a *PLEASURE* to listen to (when was the last time you could say that about NS10's?). That's a big deal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back